Chapter 38

AN - Sorry for the delay, but I have been planning a story that won't leave my head. I think I maybe going to write a Children's story with Scottie as the main character. Enjoy the chapter, not long to go on this book now. Az x

Chapter 38

The Keep loomed overhead, what had been her home for all her life now seemed to be a strange place which held that sense of foreboding within. Within that large stone structure was her family whom had seen her at her worst. This was a force which seemed to push her further away even as her horse took a steady step forward. Her breathing was becoming a little erratic knowing she would have to face her brother once more. After last night she could not imagine what her brother actually thought of her. For she would have committed a horrific sin. She would never have been forgiven for such a mortal iniquity.

Yet Kendrick was beside her now, this was the way she had once dreamed of entering the Keep. Only she could hardly believe what was actually happening. There was a gentle breeze which blew over her face. She closed her eyes and allowed it to wash away the thoughts which tangled her mind. It was a soothing moment of clarity that was startling after so much time in the darkness. The wind whipped around and it took the gloom as the sunlight pierced the thick cloud cover. With a haunting note as the wind whistled through the knot of trees that they had just broken through. It was a little chillier than the faerie's made the clearing.

"Are ye ready for me to speak to Cam as we arrive? Or would you wish some time to make sure of your convictions?" Larena could hear the tension in his voice which brought her head in his direction.

"Do ye not believe my conviction to my promise?" She could not stop the hurt that leeched into her tone.

"Nay, Larena, not at all. But I do not want to push ye into anything which would end up pushing ye away lass." Her horse shifted abruptly beneath her, pulling her attention from Kendrick. "I could not bear the thought of you going now the hope has started to grow." The last was a whisper upon the breeze that she was not sure came from Kendrick. Or if indeed it came from the faeries they had left behind. Making mischief but spreading their magic amongst the highland people as only those wily folk can.

"No matter the outcome, it needs to be done now. Camdyn needs to know that it is what we wish. He needs to know that I am not in a limbo, but I am moving forward. Especially after my unforgivable actions last eve." Kendrick pulled his horse out in front, causing Larena to pull up short, their horses dancing around each other until they could bring them under control.

"What are you doing? I could have been thrown." Her disgruntlement was obvious. Swinging the horse once more in the direction of the Keep, she was about to kick in her heels, when she was pulled out of her saddle. Finding herself sat squarely before Kendrick, his arm solidly around her waist. "Let me go." Her words held no heat and neither did she struggle.

"I don't think I will let you go. I quite like the feeling of you, exactly where you are." With a few quick movements, Kendrick caught her horses' reins and they were once more moving. "Now, about this unforgivable act. You will not be doing anything of the sort, so I will be forgiving you. Especially if it means it brought you back to me."

Larena cleared her throat, lost for words as embarrassment flamed her cheeks and a strange warmth settled within her chest. It had been a long time indeed since such a feeling had made itself present to her.

In a clip they were entering the village to many a curious stare. Women chatting as they returned to their homes stopped and went silent as they passed. Yet Kendrick had slowed their mount to a crawling pace, Larena was sure he was doing it on purpose. It was most obvious to them that something was going on between them. This was it for her reputation now.

"You will have to go through with this now." The whisper in her ear had her jumping in his arm. He held her steadily in his embrace.

She hissed back at him. "Is that why you did not ride around the village?"

"Aye, had the idea when you pooped into my lap."

"I do not remember having any choice in the matter."

"At least now the rumours will be rampant and your brother will have no option but to preserve your honour." She could have hit him as he made sure the last three words were heard loud and clear by Edina as they passed by. Her eyes widening as she swivelled to watch them. Larena could not even bear to look back at her as they rode forward.

"What did you say that for?" Her cheeks were burning as her nails dug into Kendrick's arm hard enough for him to grunt at the pain.

"I needed to make sure that the rumours would have some evidence. You could have hurt yourself riding, which is why you are before me. I needed to make sure Camdyn would have no option but to agree to my terms."

"You are not going to fool my brother into better deals are you?" Her worry bubbled beneath her words, it was the first time she had thought of such. Camdyn was looking to be rid of her. What would he be willing to give Kendrick in exchange for her marriage? The doubts started to creep back in.

"Camdyn will find my terms quite reasonable." Her lips thinned as she tried to keep the pain inside. "Do not even think like that."

"I have no idea of what you mean." Her face steadfastly forward.

"Your head is running with wild thoughts of how I am trying to gain as much as possible from your brother. When all I want is you. But for my father's sake I will probably have to go with the original terms if he is agreeable."

Her brow furrowed as she took on this knowledge. "But you could gain so much more from him now. The clan is in a much better position than when the agreement was first made." She could not stop her mouth from giving the information she did not want him to use in the first place.

"Whilst that is true. I was also speaking the truth. I only want you. But my position within my clan means I have to at least try to gain something other than a wife. And as my father made the first arrangement he will have to be happy with it." His arm tightened abruptly. "Or I could just spirit you away now, steal my bride and you brother will not have to pay a coin to be rid of you. Unless you count the horse which will be coming along with us?" His voice was so genteel that she was swept up in the notion for just a moment.

"Kendrick!" The yell had her jumping once more, craning her neck towards the three galloping figures who careened past them in a loud cheer. Kendrick lifting his hand and laughing as he nudged his mount a little faster, but they were left in the dust from the three MacKay guards.

"Well, I believe Camdyn will know a lot sooner than even I could have hoped for." The smile was evident in his voice and the rather smug tone he used.

She held her breath as they entered through into the bailey. Camdyn awaiting stone faced upon the stairs to the Keep. Closing her eyes as Kendrick pulled them to a stop, she heard the bailey go silent around them as the work all stopped. "I assume you have heard some news Cam?"

His footsteps echoed loudly, seeming to hit the stones surrounding them and bounce back, amplifying the moment. As they stopped Larena peeked out a look from her lashes. "Aye, I heard quite the interesting tale from the village just before you arrival. I think we have some discussions to undergo." His voice was rough but his eyes danced in laughter.

Much to Larena's dismay Kendrick replied loud and clear. "We do need to speak. For I will be marrying your sister before the end of the year."