39 - Final Goodbyes

Start from the beginning

            “Jace Harley.”

            I stood up and screamed out as Cara and Ms. Harley did the same in front of us. Jace walked up to the stage, took his diploma, and as he made his way down the stairs he looked up to the stands, caught my eyes, and winked. Cara smirked up at me and I looked away with a secret smile.

            The rest of graduation passed by slowly. I cheered for the people I knew, listened during the speeches, and laughed as all the graduates finally got to throw their caps up to the ceiling.

            That’s it. They’re officially graduates. I’m officially alone in high school now.

            We walked down there and as soon as my brother walked over to us, I engulfed him in a hug.

            “Good job, Dill,” I said into his shoulder. “You can move out now!”

            We pulled back and he ruffled my hair. He spoke quietly so only I could hear him, “Of course. You can have my room too! There’s even a stripper pole built into the room. It’s perfect for those times with Jace—“

            “Okay!” I said loudly and pushed my brother away. “I think it’s time to go to dinner now—“

            “Without saying ‘congratulations’ to me?” I knew exactly who said it.

            I turned around and ran into the arms of Jace. He chuckled into my ear and wrapped his arms around my lower back. His familiar smell wafted my nose as I hugged him tightly.

            “Congrats,” I mumbled into his shoulder and squeezed him harder.

            “Oh, break it up!” Dillon stepped between us. “You’ll see each other tonight at the party. You can say your goodbyes then because you won’t see each other for a long—“

            “Dillon!” Our mother scolded when she noticed that I was seconds away from crying.

            My brother eyed me and stopped. “Fine. Let’s go to dinner. Graduating is hard work. It took me thirteen years to finally get it done.

            I smiled lightly and Dill wrapped his arms around my shoulders as we left the Harley’s. I turned around as I walked and saw Jace give me a little wave goodbye. Tonight would be the time where we have to say it again, that time we know we won’t see each other for a long time.

            Dinner went by quickly and then our parents headed out for a night at a hotel because they were letting Dillon keep the house for party. ‘No alcohol, of course!’ My mother had said before they left. Right. As if that’s going to happen.

            Dillon called his friends to come over to help set up while I headed upstairs to get ready. I knew the party was going to be amazing but I didn’t want it to happen. I didn’t want this night to happen.

            The hot June weather was already clear in California so after I stepped out of the much-needed shower, I threw on some shorts and a tank top before straightening my hair. When I was done with everything, I walked downstairs to see friends like Luke, Sean, and Alyssa helping out but Jace wasn’t there yet.

            I absent-mindedly started moving some of the alcohol from one of the trucks someone brought and into the house. After that was done, I helped with moving all of the expensive vases and such into my parent’s room upstairs. When I came back down, I went to sort out the food on the counter when someone’s hands clasped over my eyes.