35 - Confession

This chapter was 10 and a half pages on word so it's extra long!

Thanks for all the comments, likes, and fans! I really love your feedback :)

And there's only like 3 more chapters before this is over!

____________________________________

I straightened Jace's jersey on me with a smile because it smelled just like him no matter how many times he had washed it. I watched as the boys were practicing before their big semi-finals game that could either move them forward or end their high school soccer career.

"Peyton!" I looked up in the direction my name was called and saw Cara and Ms. Harley waving at me. I grinned and waved back before shifting on the uncomfortable, cold bleacher that I sat on with my parents.

"Is that Ella and Cara Harley? I haven't seen them in ages!" My mother exclaimed as she also looked over at the Harley girls.

"Yeah, they're pretty cool."

"Wait, how do you know them?"

I hesitated then lowered my voice so only she would hear. "Jace and I were in a fake relationship, remember?"

A smile appeared onto her face that was wide and accusing. "If it was all 'fake,' why are you wearing his jersey?"

I blushed but then looked away before my mom could notice. "Touché, mom. Touché."

With my hair acting as a shield from my mom, I mentally begged for my face to return to it's natural color. It wasn't like there was anything going on between Jace and I... Was there?

Obviously he had something going on with me. But me with him? What was my mom implying?

"Hey, Peyton! Come down with us!" Chase yelled from down on the track where he was with the others on the dance team. I looked at my parents for confirmation and they let me go. With a grin, I jumped up and limped over to where my team was stretching, getting ready for a performance that I can't participate in.

I may be out of my wheelchair but I still see the looks from people. I still hear the hushed comments about my legs and the visual burn marks. The disgusted glares when I put my hair up and everyone can see that huge, revolting scar that went from the side of my forehead down to my chin.

You can ignore all the harsh comments but there is always a place in you that can't help but listen to them.

Chase helped me sit down on the pavement because my gimp leg made it kind of hard to get down on my own. I looked out onto the field and saw Jace with Dillon, Luke, and, surprisingly, Sean as well, in a little circle. It was just like last year when they were all friends before I went and messed everything up. Then Jace's eyes connected with mine before they trailed down to his jersey. He looked back up with a bright smile on his face then winked which made another round of blush appear on my face.

"Hey," Chase elbowed me and I looked at him only to see his eyes were also on Jace. "You two got something going on?"

"No!"

"Oh?" He raised an eyebrow with a smirk playing on his lips. "We'll see."

I ignored his words and looked out to the bleachers. Our whole school had to be here for this moment and on the other side held the opposite team's supporters. We were pretty even with the opposing squad so this will be a good game.

Over to the left of us was the cheerleaders stretching and adjusting their hands in their pompoms. Kayla, the new and un-slutty Kayla, saw me looking and waved at me. With a little smile, I waved back, still amazed at her sudden transformation.