Chapter 4, Part 2: Penny's POV

Start from the beginning

"Sit," Dana said as soon as I stepped inside my brothers' home. For him to not send me straight to my room to "reflect" on why I was in trouble suggested that he really meant business. I guess all his frustration built up over the school day, and on our way here from my dorm room.

I went and sat down on the couch. "What the hell were you thinking?" Dana asked me after Ben came in the house and shut the front door. He wasn't really yelling per se, but he had a dead serious look on his face, and his eyes were dark. If looks could kill ...

"I—"

"Do you know how serious skipping detention is?" he continued, cutting me off.

"I—"

"You could get a Saturday detention, or even get suspended. Is that what you want?"

My eyes widened. "Of course not, Dana—"

"Then tell me why you skipped your lunch detention with me."

"You never said I had a lunch detention." Well it wasn't a total lie—Dana himself never told me I did.

"That's because you left so abruptly. I told Ms. Corella to tell you."

"Well I got to her class late, thanks to you, and then I left her class in a hurry so that I wouldn't be late for my third class, so she didn't really have a chance to tell me anything." It was a huge gamble to lie so blatantly to my brother's face—he could very easily ask Ms. Corella if she told me I had detention, and I'd be dead—but at that point I figured it'd be a better excuse for getting out of a worse punishment for skipping.

"There was an announcement for you to come to my room during lunch," Dana said.

"... I didn't hear that announcement," I said.

Dana and Ben both raised an eyebrow. "Oh really? You didn't hear it?" Ben said, deciding to get involved in the conversation. Maybe that was a good thing.

"No, I didn't ... I went back to my dorm and there's no intercom in that hallway."

"You? Missed lunch?" Dana said. "I don't believe that for one second."

"Don't lie to us, Penny," Ben said.

"I didn't say I missed lunch. I went back to my room because I forgot my biology textbook and then I went to lunch afterwards. So I probably just missed it."

"Mhm," Ben said. "You seem to have a lot of excuses, Penny."

"They're not excuses, they're the truth," I said. "And if Dana wanted to see me during lunch, he should have told me himself."

Dana's eyes grew darker. "Would you rather I have come into the dining hall to get you so that everyone knew you had a lunch detention?"

"No—"

"Because I was seriously contemplating dragging you out of there myself before Ben called me and convinced me to wait to talk to you after school since it was your first day."

"You're lucky that Dana decided not to report you for skipping," Ben said. "But if this happens again, you're not going to be so lucky; whether it's a detention with another teacher or a detention with one of us."

"You shouldn't even be getting detention in the first place," Dana said. Ben nodded.

I stood up. "You're the one that gave it to me!"

Dana's eyes grew even darker to where they now looked black. Yikes. "As I should have. You were being disrespectful—"

"I was being disrespectful? How was I being disrespectful? You're the one that was rude and insulted Ms. Corella's class!"

"You're being disrespectful right now," Dana said.

"Lower your voice," Ben warned.

I took a deep breath and faced my oldest brother. "Ben, he made me late for my second class," I argued. "If he wanted to talk to me he could of done it after school like you suggested. Or during lunch if he had told me ahead of time."

"That's no excuse to be disrespectful towards him," Ben said. "He's still your teacher, and still your brother."

"I wasn't disrespectful!" I silently gulped when I saw both Dana and Ben eyeing me for raising my voice again. "I mean, I wasn't disrespectful ..." I repeated with a much lower volume.

"Rolling your eyes at me is disrespectful," Dana said. "Talking back to me is disrespectful. Walking away from me when I'm still talking to you is disrespectful."

"Okay, okay, I get it," I said. "I'm sorry."

"Well, I'm sorry too," Dana said before he started undoing his belt.

My eyes widened. "Wha-what are you doing? I said I was sorry."

"And I appreciate your apology," Dana said. "But sorry doesn't always cut it. You know that." A shiver ran down my spine when I heard the sound of Dana's belt being pulled through his pants' belt loops. "Bend over the couch."

I looked to my oldest brother for help. "Ben, please don't let him—"

"Do what he says, Penny," Ben said. "You know you deserve this." Some help he was.

I sat back down on the couch. "I don't deserve the belt," I argued.

"Let's go Penny, we both have work to do," Ben said.

"Get up," Dana demanded.