Chapter Twenty - Dreams

I take off down the stairs of the subway station, sprinting over to the train I'm about to miss. The doors are just about to close as I bolt over, but luckily I make it just as the doors begin to close. I breathe heavily, looking around the once again, very crowded train car. I had woken up late once again, with barely anytime to get Atlas outside. My hair was pulled into a high ponytail, and I wore sweatpants and a grey sweatshirt. I literally look like I'm wearing pajamas.

"Hey."

I look over my shoulder, my eyes falling onto the one and only, Peter Parker. I smile and turn as much as the people crammed in next to me will allow, watching as Peter squeezes through an old lady and a tall man with a beard.

"Hey. I didn't know you take this train," I say with a grin.

"Only when I'm late," He chuckles. "I slept in."

"Me too. If you couldn't tell." I say, chuckling softly. He laughs slightly in response, adjusting the strap on his backpack.

"Hey, um..." I start, looking down at my feet. "I didn't ask you this right off the bat, but...the other night, when we were running from that...thing..." I trail off slightly, looking up at him, our eyes meeting. He bites his lip and looks around the train nervously.

"Peter, what happened?" I finish, my eyes not leaving his face as he shifts his gaze nervously.

"W-what do you mean?"

"The other night, after the movies..." I reply, trailing off. "The monster showed up, and..." I look up at Peter, who avoids eye contact.

"You disappeared," I say softly. "we were terrified." As I say this, he shuts his eyes for a brief second, then stares at his feet.

"I-I..." He stammers. "I called for you guys and I turned a sharp corner that l-led down a different street. You guys didn't follow, but I thought you did, so I kept running...and once I realized you weren't with me, I just-"

"Peter." I start. "You didn't call for us. You were right next to me. I would've heard you." The train lurches to a stop, and everyone bumps into each other slightly. The doors slide open, but Peter and I stay. He opens his mouth, but no words come out. Soon, the train car is empty, and we're the only ones left.

"I've got to go." I mutter, turning to leave.

"Juniper, wait." I hear him say as I step out of the train car. I shake my head to myself and make my way through the station, jogging up the stairs. Peter follows, and once I get out of the station, I feel his hand on my shoulder. I turn around, raising my eyebrows questioningly.

"I..." He starts, but doesn't finish.

"What are you hiding?" I ask, looking up into his brown eyes.

"W-what?"

"Peter," I start. "You've been acting so weird. You disappear when you're out with your friends. I call you and I can hear people screaming and crashing in the background of the call..."

"Juniper," He starts.

"What?" I ask. His hand still rests on my shoulder. "What, Peter?" Once again, he opens his mouth, but words don't come out.

"Exactly." I mutter, turning to leave.

"You'd never understand," He says, returning to my side. I turn the corner and start towards Midtown, already wishing this day was over.

"But what if I did?" I ask.

"You wouldn't."

"You sure?" I ask, turning around, walking backwards. My back hits the door softly, and I push it open slowly. "Because I think I already know what's going on."