Chapter Four - And We're Off

I stand outside of the school, alongside Ally and Harper. My backpack is heavier today, loaded wth extra clothes and my swimsuit, my hairbrush and toothbrush. I have my wallet, charger, and earbuds in my hand.

We leave for the field trip today, and I'm actually surprised at how excited I am.

"We're all planning to sneak into the pool at the hotel tonight," Ally says excitedly.

"I'm so down." Harper adds, grinning. I roll my eyes and smile, staring at my feet.

"Aren't you excited?!" Harper asks. I look up at her and shrug.

"Okay. Fine. I'm excited," I say.

"See? It's not all that bad." Ally says, grinning.

The bell for school starts to ring, and the rest of the students on the decathlon team start to gather around the bus. I stand in between Ally and Harper.

"Alright, I'll take role. I see we have a few extras with us?" The decathlon coach says. It's silent.

"Right. Okay. I'll start." He says.

Ally turns to me, a devilish grin on her face. The coach starts to take roll.

"What?" I whisper.

She steps back. Peter.

I roll my eyes and hit her gently, stepping forward.

"Hey, Peter." I say, fiddling with the ring on my finger.

"Hey. I see your friends convinced you to join." He says with a smile. He sounds nervous.

"Uh, yeah. They did." I say, continuing to twist the ring around my finger.

"Peter?"

"Here." He calls.

"I got my dad to write an excused note for me." I say. He chuckles.

"Ned did the same thing," He says, chuckling. I smile in response.

"Alyssa?"

"Here," Ally calls, tucking a strand of her long hair behind her ear.

"Alright, that's it. Everyone get onto the bus, and everyone who isn't on the team, I need you to come see me!" The coach says as everyone piles onto the bus.

"Hi. Um, I'm not on the team. I have a note, though." I say.

"Okay," he sighs. I set the note into his hand and hop onto the bus. I'm surprised they even let other students come with the team.

I spot Ally, who, of course, decided to sit behind Peter and Ned.

I plop into the seat next to her and set my backpack on my lap.

"So." She says.

"Ally. Stop. Please." I say. She huffs.

"Fine. Where's Harp?" She asks. I sit up and look over the seat.

"She's getting on now." I say.

We eventually all settle in and the bus leaves, and we're on our way to Washington DC.

"Did you finish your homework for ELA?" Ally asks me as we pull out of the school parking lot.

"Yes...why?" I ask.

"Um...I didn't." She says, then gives me a slight laugh. Harper snorts.

"Who are you and what have you done with Ally?" I ask.

"I was...busy." She stammers. I raise an eyebrow.

"What kind of busy?" I ask.

"Busy." Ally says. "Could I copy your homework?"