Chapter Eighteen - That Was a Complete Lie

"Harper."

"Huh?" She asks, looking up at me with her pale blue eyes.

"Did you even hear anything I just said?" I ask, slightly annoyed.

"Yes..." She starts. "But, just in case, tell me everything again I wasn't listening."

"Harper," I whine.

"Sorry," she mutters, before raising the mug of coffee to her lips. Ally's off somewhere with Tyler, leaving just Harper and I at the coffee shop. It would've been smarter telling Ally first, because she actually listens (well, most of the time) unlike Harper, who happens to always be distracted.

"Okay. Hear me out. Please don't scream or be loud. Okay?" She stares at me intently, with her big brown eyes, and it's kind of creepy in a way.

"Okay. Go on." She says. I lean over the table some.

"I think Peter is the Spider-Man," I whisper. She stares at me, and doesn't say anything for a moment. And then she bursts into laughter.

"I knew this would happen if I told you first," I mutter, setting two fingers on my forehead and leaning back in my chair. She laughs hysterically, but surprisingly doesn't catch anybody's attention. When she finally calms down, she stares at me and looks as if she may burst into laughter again.

"You know what, never mind." I say to her. She snorts.

"Peter is not the Spider-Man," she says softly.

"If you would listen to me, you may think otherwise." I mutter.

"Fine. I'm listening." She says, leaning forward with a straight face.

"Okay. I'm going to start off from the beginning. Remember the whole coffee shop and the Spider-Man thing?" I ask.

"Yeah."

"Well, I was following Peter. And instead of Peter, I got the Spider-Man." I say quietly.

"But what if that's just a coincidence?" Harper asks.

"But listen to this - the Spider-Man obviously lives in Queens, so why was he at DC during the decathlon field trip? Like, that's so precise, that can't be a coincidence. And, like New York, DC is big, and he was at the Washington Monument when we were, and at the exact time we were in the elevator." I say. Harper doesn't say anything, but she looks deep in thought.

"Okay, I'll admit, this one's kind of crazy, but I saw the Spider-Man be slammed into a building by something on the news. The next day, Peter was really beat up."

"That's probably a coincidence."

"But what if it isn't?" I ask. "There was this other time when I called him and-"

"You got up the courage to call Peter?!" She exclaims. I roll my eyes.

"Yes. I called him and-"

"Oh my gosh. Why am I hearing about this now?? Did you tell Ally instead of me?!"

"No, Harper, I didn't tell anyone because it's not a big deal. Anyways, I called him and-"

"Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod-"

"Harper." I state.

"Sorry. Continue." She says quickly.

"I called him and he sounded way out of breath and I heard a crash, and somebody scream in the background of the call." I say. "And he wouldn't tell me anything." Harper's jaw is hanging open just slightly, and she doesn't say anything for a bit.