Chapter Eight - The New Girl

"We have a new student here today," Mrs. Campbell says flatly.

"Are you touring her?" Harper asks.

"Probably," I reply.

"Juniper, would you like to give Emma a tour?" Mrs. Campbell asks.

"Sure." I say, smiling and standing up, leaving my books piled on my desk. Emma stands up and follows me out of the door and into the hallway.

"Hi. I'm Juniper Ross." I say, smiling and sticking out my hand.

"Emma. Emma Hatchings." She says, shaking my hand and smiling a pretty smile. Her eyes are an icy blue.

"Where did you move from?" I ask.

"Baltimore." She replies as we start down the hallway. I nod as we continue.

"This, right down here, is the library." I say.

"Hey, you know that guy that sits in front of you?" She asks suddenly.

"Peter? Yeah." I say slowly.

"He's pretty cute. Is he single?" She asks with a grin, twirling a strand of her blond hair on her finger. I bite my lip.

"Uh..." I start.

"Hey, June." Ally says with a smile as she passes. She turns on our heel to face us.

"Ally! Hi, uh, this is Emma. She's new here." I say.

"Hi." Emma says with a smile. Ally returns it.

"So, um, Peter told me that he would meet us for coffee today. Ned's coming, too." She says.

"Oh? That sounds fun." I say.

"Peter? The kid who sits in front of you?" Emma asks me.

"Yeah..." I say.

"Do you know if he's single?" Emma asks, turning to Ally. Ally glances at me, then back at Emma.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know you two were a couple." Emma tells me.

"No, no...we're not a couple." I say quickly.

"Oh." Emma says.

"Yes they are." Ally says quickly.

"Oh?" Emma says, raising an eyebrow.

"Well," Ally says, biting her lip. "They like each other."

I elbow Ally. Hard.

"Ow!" She exclaims.

"So you mean you like him." Emma says. I sigh and shoot Ally a quick glare.

"Yeah. You could say that."

"That's cute," Emma giggles, continuing to twirl her hair on her finger.

"Don't you have somewhere to be, Ally?" I ask quickly.

"Nah. I can help with the tour." She says.

"No. You have somewhere to be." I say. She turns on her heel, giggling as she walks away. I look back at Emma, who is obviously holding back laughter.

"Okay. Let's continue." I say, walking down the hallway, continuing the tour.

~~~

"What's up with that girl Emma?" Harper asks, taking a bite of her sandwich. Peter sits beside me, Ned sits by Harper, and Harper sits on the other side of me.

"I don't know. She seems nice." I reply.

"I think she's hot." Ned says.

"Of course you do." Harper laughs. I watch as Emma walks by us, carrying her lunch tray. I catch Peter watching her as she sits down with a bunch of cheerleaders.