Chapter Ten- Atlas

My alarm starts blaring at five forty-five AM, and the first thing I notice is the the puppy is now by my knees.

The next thing I notice is the foul smell of puke.

"You're kidding." I mumble, turning my alarm off and sitting up groggily.

There's a pile of dog puke right by my door.

"Right. Leftovers wasn't a good meal choice for a puppy." I mumble, glancing at the puppy.

I get up and step over the puke, quietly opening the door to my bedroom. He follows me, avoiding the puke and joining me to get a towel.

After that's dealt with, I start to get ready. As I'm slipping into a pair of high-waisted jeans, he starts whining.

"What is it?" I ask. He trots out of my room and to the front door, pawing at it. I slip into a thin gray sweater, bunching the end of the sleeves in my hands as I walk over.

"Alright, I'm hurrying." I say, quickly running a brush through my hair and slipping into my pair of sneakers. I don't have a leash for him, or a collar, so I just pick him up and take him downstairs. Luckily, there's a park that isn't far from our apartment. It's only about two blocks down.

I hug him to my chest as I walk quickly down the sidewalk, getting stares as I do. He squirms in my arms, trying to break free of my grip. We get to the park and I push the gate open, walking over to the dog park area. Nobody is in there yet, so I lock the gate behind me and set him down. He runs around for a bit before lifting his leg and doing his business. I hear the gate open and turn around, watching as the one and only Peter Parker walks through the gate.

"Peter? What are you doing here?" I ask with a smile.

"I could ask the same thing." He chuckles, shoving his hands in his pockets. I turn and motion to the puppy, who is now squatting and doing a different business.

"Oh! When did you get a dog?" He asks. I chuckle.

"I found him last night. He's super cute, and I don't know if I can keep him or not. My dad hasn't found out yet." I say.

"Oh." Peter grins.

"Hey, uh," I say, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "Where were you yesterday?"

"Oh, yeah...I was slammed with homework and decided to stay. Maybe next week?" He asks. I shrug.

"Sure. I was just curious."

The puppy comes running over at full speed, crashing right into Peter's leg.

"Hey, bud!" Peter laughs, crouching down and petting him all over. He jumps and yips and yaps and suddenly it seems like every bit of energy comes out of him. He turns and runs over to me, jumping up and doing half of a flip before falling to the ground right on his face. He gets up and continues running around like nothing ever happened. Peter and I laugh as I pick him back up.

"What are you doing here so early?" I ask.

"Oh, uh..." he starts. "I wanted to get like a bagel or something so I left early. And I saw you on my way, so I thought I'd say hi." He says, grinning. The puppy kicks me in the neck and flies out of my arms.

"I need a leash. And a collar." I sigh, setting my hands on my waist and watching as he goes nuts.

"There's a pet supply store right down the street." Peter says.

"Don't have any money on me right now." I say. "Wait."

I bring out my phone and turn it around, eyeing the twenty-dollar bill pressed between the back of my phone and the clear case with Mickey Mouse printed on it, right over the Apple logo.