Chapter-7

I was shrunk on the bed, curled in a ball. My blanket enveloped around and my white bear from my early childhood was snuggled close to my chest.

I felt worn out, like a part of  I was drawing out from me, leaving just an apprehension behind.

These events seemed to presage the horrors that future held. And it wasn't the horror, it was the anticipation of these horrors that wrenched my nerves.

It was after the minutes I accepted a coffee with Derek, these threats started. He wanted me to not go out with Derek.

My teeth clench as wave of anger surged through me. I didn't deserve this. No one deserved this. I never asked to be a center of someone's sick obsession over me.

I couldn't let it happen. I couldn't let him crawl in my life and control it. It had to be stopped. Only I could let him have a power over me. And I refused it. I would not be threatened, not at any cost. I would stop it.

***

I had called the police to lodge a report before leaving to meet up Derek. I refused doing it over phone. So they dispatched a team of officer at my place. And here I was sitting across those officers from before. Gerald Stone and Theodore Wilson.

"Ms. Cowden, do you any evidence of that Stalker you claim is threatening you?" Officer Wilson asked, sitting across me.

I nodded. "Yes, I do have."

I held up the two letters, that sick had written me, to him. He took it. Officer Stone, looking at the letters in the hand of his partner with awaiting curiosity. He unfolded the first letter, and I could see officer Stone rose a brow as if he was puzzled while officer Wilson frowned deeply like he couldn't make out what was inside it. He put it aside and unfolded the second letter and the reaction was as before. A deep puzzlement on their chubby and thin faces.

I waited for their response.

Officer Stone cleared his throat. "I wonder what about these you find threatening?"

His response had me taken aback. "What do you mean? In clear words, he's threatening me. You guys-"

"What words are you talking about?" Officer Wilson butted in, he held a detached look. "These are just blank papers."

"What?" I was in utter shock at his words. This couldn't be possible. They weren't blank. I had read all his threats.

I snatched the papers away from his hand and looked at them. My breathing stopped. They were blank. Not a hint of ink was on them.

How? My eyes were wide with shock.

I looked at them with frantic eyes. "These weren't blank when I found them. He was threatening me in clear words in these letters. Believe me, please!"

"We would like to believe you. If there are evidences. You told us that he sent you some creepy cake last night. Can you show that to us?"

I squeezed my eyes shut, my world seemed to be spinning. I shook my head, sighing in exasperation. "No, I dumped it in a bin last night."

"And a garbage truck must have taken it by now, right?" Officer Wilson looked at me, a mockery in his tone, like he was calling me a liar.

I bit my lip as my eyes stung. The messages he sent me on my phone had been deleted. I thought them as prank. And the photos he sent me in a box was destroyed by me in a shredder. I even threw that box. I never thought to put them as an evidence because initially I was forcing me to believe it as a prank. Even though, it had crossed all the limits of a prank when I was sent those pictures of I sleeping. I never thought through anything. I just acted on a whim. And those whims had cost me all those evidences I could have had to put an end to this torment.