Chapter 9

(Flashback)
I just got out of the hospital after about a week. Diego came to visit me every day, apologizing and saying it was his fault. I eventually forgave him and we got back together. I got home and headed to my room. Mitch came out of his room. He's only a 7th grader and he had to see his sister in the hospital. He came up and gently hugged me. I hugged him back.

"How are you feeling, big sis?"

"I'm doing okay, kiddo. I'm home now and that's all that matters." I smiled, ruffling his hair. He smiled and went back to his room. I went to my room and looked at my bed. There was a bouquet of roses, a big box of chocolates, and a card sitting in the middle of my bed. I smiled and walked over. I grabbed the card and opened it.

Beautiful Jazzy,
Oh how I've missed holding you in my arms. I want to prove to you how much you mean to me. Under the roses is a dress. Be ready by 7 tonight. I'll see you then.
~Diego

I smiled and lifted the roses up. Sure enough, there was a wine red dress laying there. I smiled and pulled out my phone. It was currently two in the afternoon, so I called Leslie. After a few rings, she picked up.

"Leslie! Quick! Come over! You need to see this!" I squeeked.

"Okay, okay. Calm down." she laughed. We hung up and I went out into the dining room. I grabbed an empty vase out of the cabinet and filled it with water. I turned around and my mom was standing there. I jumped, almost dropping the vase.

"Hey mom. You scared me."

"Sorry hun. I see you found your surprise."

"Yeah, I did. Leslie is on her way so I can show her and she can do my makeup and hair when it comes time."

"Okay, sweetie." she smiled. The front door burst open and Leslie came into the kitchen. She looked at the roses and smiled lightly before coming up to me and hugging me.

"Boy do I have to show you something!" I called, dragging her to my room.

(End Flashback)

The bell rang, pulling me out of my thoughts. I grabbed my stuff and slowly made my way out of the room. I looked at my schedule, to see I had a free period. I sighed and headed towards my locker. I put all my textbooks into my locker and shut it. I turn around to see Joe standing there. I jump, gasping sharply.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I just want to talk. Please." he begged. I hung my head.

"I can't be with you, Joe. What happened was a mistake."

"Why? What did I do..?"

"You didn't do anything. It's me. I have to go..." I mumbled, walking away. Joe grabbed my shoulder and spun me around to face him. Without thinking, I swung and slapped him hard across the face. He looked at me with pure shock before dropping his hand off my shoulder. I turned and walked away again, him not stopping me this time. I walked out the front doors of the school to see Jon standing there. I did NOT need this.

"Hey. Look, I'm sorry about earlier. I wasn't thinking. I shouldn't have done what I did."

"I don't have time for this, Jon. I have to go..."

"What about our project? We need to work on it. If it makes you more comfortable, then we can work at your house."

"Fine. But we can't work at my house, remember? My mom will be sleeping."

"Okay. Do you have a free period now?"

"Yeah, but I need to tell Mitch that I'm leaving."

"Or we can hang out here till after school and I can give him a ride home."

"Okay, fine. How about we swing by the library real fast and grab a copy of The Outsiders."

"Sounds good to me." He smiled. He headed back inside and I followed.