We stay like that for a while longer until the sounds of tin forks hitting plates disturb our silence. The soldiers are up and eating. Rowan and I break apart and I finally get to look at his face. He looks tired, worn out by years of suffering, and my heart aches at the sight. I want to help him, make all the pain go away. But I can't and that kills me the most. 

   Wordlessly, the two of us head back to camp and cook ourselves a breakfast of baked beans and hard bread, the usual. We eat in hungry silence, side by side, with Everest high in the trees above, stalking the occasional bird or squirrel. Then, we ready the horses and clean up camp before I say goodbye to Everest and we walk onto the wide road, leading the horses behind us. There, the soldiers are also mounting and preparing for departure. A few other soldiers are packing up my family's tents and supplies...typical. They can't even bother to do that themselves. Finally, once everything is ready, the soldiers and carriage form a line, with Rowan and I in the back. Then we depart, back to our journey towards Shodo.

   We ride for the rest of the day, then the next, and then the one after that. It's been eleven days on the snowy road. It's dark now, near nine o'clock at night, when Pierceton Palace finally comes into view. Massom, with its uniquely built structures, sits all around the grand palace, which overlooks the entire city. I've read all about Shodo, of its mountains, valleys, rivers and waterfalls. It's jungles and hills, blue skies and bright sun. It's all true. The sun isn't out now, but we left the snow behind in the forest. We're welcomed now by the sight of green covered mountains and white moon lighting up the sky. It truly is beautiful.

   We ride through to the palace, my father doing his best to ride through the middle of the town streets whenever he can, just to show off his elegant carriage and barrage of troops. Finally, we make it to the palace gates, our horses exhausted and food supply nearly empty. 

   The gates are tall, with brick walls circling the palace grounds, caging out any enemies. Too bad King Etrrian just invited in a whole group of them. The palace must be several stories tall; it looms above us, with its balconies jutting outward on each level and huge windows. I can't see much from outside the palace walls, but it's quite a sight, one that speaks of wealth, beauty and respect, but in a calm, enticing way, like the palace is made to be a welcoming to Shodo. 

   A guard on top of the walls shouts and the huge metal gate swings open, its rusted hinges screeching with each movement. Behind it, I can now see the palace standing there, with large steps leading up to it. Something about it speaks of the Shodo culture, much more than Chastershire speaks of Graeweth. Green lawns with beautiful flowers and trees sit in front of the palace, a huge circle driveway in front with a sparkling fountain in the middle. 

   The entourage of soldiers filed through the large, dark gates, with the carriage squat in the middle of the group, caged in by the four Eagle squadron men. Rowan and I exchange a glance before urging our mounts forward, riding after the soldiers, through the gates of Pierceton Palace. We ride through the vast gardens and lawns, staying on the cobblestone road, the only sound being the soft chatter of the men and clopping of the horses' hooves. The dark, pitch black sky surrounds us, with only the dim street lanterns to light the way as we ride to the driveway, pulling around the circle so that the carriage is directly in front of the steps.

   I pull Fleetfire to a halt and watch in silent curiosity as the large wooden doors of the palace swing open to reveal...a nervous looking servant, fidgeting on his feet and his mouth twisted into a scowl. I survey his outfit, a clean white tunic and black pants, which leather shoes, neither worn nor new. His hair is gray and he's quite short, but that's all I can see from where I sit atop my horse, at the end of the line. The servant carries a lantern in his hand, the light bobbing up and down, as he walks down the steps carefully before pausing in front of the carriage, looking more anxious than ever.