Chapter 11

You watched as the ships left. You stood there helpless as Nightshade and Toothless were locked up and put on the ships. You felt your heart breaking. Why did it have to end like this? I'm sorry Nightshade...it should've been me that died. No. No, don't think like that. But still...I should've done something more. I should've tried to think of a better plan. 

You spotted Hiccup. You went toward him, running past your brothers on the way. They, for some reason, didn't follow you. You stood next to Hiccup the entire time as you watched the ships leave and disappear. 

"It's a mess. You must feel horrible. You've lost everything. Your father, your tribe, your best friend..." Arrow said coming up to you both.

"Thank you for summing that up." Hiccup retorted. "Why couldn't I have killed that dragon when I found him in the woods? It would have been better for everyone." 

"Yep. The rest of us would have done it. So why didn't you?" Arrow asked. Hiccup didn't say anything at first. "Why didn't you?"

"Hang on, I wouldn't have." They both looked at you. "I would've done the same thing. I did the same thing."

"Why did you spare Nightshade?" Arrow asked. You weren't sure at first, but something in your gut knew what the right answer was. You sighed, facing him again.

"It's not fair to take a life you've never had the chance to live." They both looked interested. "What right do we have to kill them....when we've never even known just how hard their life can be." 

"You're the first to see it like that. So, Hiccup?" Arrow asked. He sighed, looking lost and guilty.

"I don't know. I couldn't."

"That's not an answer," Arrow told him firmly.

"Why is this so important to you all of a sudden?"

"Because I want to remember what you say, right now."

"Oh, for the love of- I was a coward! I was weak! I wouldn't kill a dragon!" 

"You said 'wouldn't' that time." 

"Whatever! I wouldn't! Three hundred years, and I'm the first Viking who wouldn't kill a dragon!" Both you and Arrow paused for a moment. You felt bad for Hiccup, knowing that all of this had been such a hard thing for him to do. Being the one who'd always been expecting to be greater and better than Stoick, all of this was such a big turnaround that it almost seemed impossible. However, you would argue that what he did was harder than killing Toothless. Arrow seemed to agree.

"First to ride one, though." Hiccup paused, clearly not expecting him to say that. "So...?"

"...I wouldn't kill him because he looked as frightened as I was. I looked at him, and I saw myself." You were stunned. You held his hand and gave him a soft kind smile. He seemed to relax a bit at your touch. Arrow moved on, however.

"I bet he's really frightened now. What are you going to do about it?"

"Eh, probably something stupid," Hiccup replied.

"Good. But you've already done that." Arrow said with a grin. Then Hiccup's face lit up as he got an idea.

"Then something crazy." He said and started to run off. You smiled, getting excited again as you knew what this meant. You all weren't giving up yet!

"That's more like it!" Arrow clearly had the same feeling. You took off after him with Arrow.

"That's what I'm talking about! Back in action!"