I'm fueled by the strength I draw from the conviction of purpose I felt in my companions.

I go still and grit my teeth. Ignoring the pain, I narrow my eyes at Segomo Reese and focus on one thought:

I will come out the victor.

"Mr. Desmond. Enough! I am in command here." The general's words abruptly silence Lorne from saying anything further. "Cali, you need to answer Segomo Reese's question. Keep it simple. Tell him...tell him you're from the North. Go from there. Together we'll figure this out."

"I'm from the North," I say, at a loss for anything further to add.

I'm startled with how foreign my voice sounds to my ears.

I don't know what just happened to me. But, I know that in this moment I am more than just myself.

"Good...that's good, Cali..." the general urges.

"The information this Jen-er-el suggests will not be enough." The mysterious voice counters. I'm shocked that my invisible companion can hear so clearly what General Randolph is saying to me.

"Segomo Reese will demand more and lose patience easily. Offer to trade something that will speak to his greed. In exchange for the lives of Ro'monthu Ra and the pup."

"A trade?" Surprise makes the question escape my lips.

"What did you say?" General Randolph asks, perplexed.

"A...what?" Segomo Reese raises an eyebrow in question.

"Lie to him," the mysterious voice instructs. "Very soon his life will be forfeit. But you must stall. Make him believe there will be a trade."

"You want to offer a trade?" There is growing irritation in Segomo Reese's voice.

"You? Make a trade?" He frowns and shakes his head.

Mouth set in a grim line, his countenance hardens.

He puts pressure on the sword, and I feel the angry bite of his mounting impatience as steel pierces the skin on my face.

It's a shallow cut, but it hurts like hell. Even though I flinch and my eyes water, I keep them trained on the bastard.

My unseen companion utters a curse so close to my face that his breath raises the hairs on the nape of my neck.

I glance at Diesel.

His eyes following Segomo Reese's every move are a brilliant sapphire that flash in the sunlight. The muscles in his neck are taught, his jaw set in fierce determination.

"You play games with your life." Segomo Reese's warning is a deep and menacing growl. "We only trade in what gives us advantage in winning at blood sport. And I doubt you have anything to bring to the arena."

In a flash an idea comes to me.

I know the direction I can take this to both stall and hopefully get the LTU's back.

I may not be immortal or have any kick ass fighting moves, but I've mastered the art of practicing interpersonal skills from my experiences as a Receptionist.

I channel my best impression of an assertive office supply sales rep.

"I can offer you something the other competitors can't. Something that will give your..." I look around at the foul lowlifes hovering over my every word, "team the winning advantage."

General Randolph's voice cuts in. It's low, and his words are a measured warning. "Cali? What are you doing?"

I don't acknowledge the general. Instead I gaze steadily into Segomo Reese's eyes and say, "What I offer is a game."