eighteen; ❝united❞

Rosa's POV

4 years later...

My hands are sweating uncontrollably, so I try to dry them off on the silky fabric of my white dress. I take deep breaths to try to remain calm in the room full of frantic people.

"Find the flowers!" Cameron barks an order at someone.

Cameron has promised to make things perfect for me, and I believe that she will. I feel a twinge of guilt for the person she's throwing the orders at though, since I know that she can be overbearing at times.

Before I can even take another deep breath and sit down, Cameron comes running to me with the bright set of flowers.

It's an overwhelming variety of flowers all in my hands, complimenting the white fabric of my dress. The bouquet is complicated, just like me.

"We need to hurry, Rosa!" She yells at me.

She straightens out my dress in such a quick manner as if the world is about to end.

"Cameron, I don't know if I can do this," I tell her suddenly.

Marriage is a huge commitment. A very huge commitment. It's not something that you can change your mind about that easily. I'm sure about my love for Aurora, but is that enough?

  "Rosa, don't tell yourself that. You can do this."

I know that she's right, but somehow I still feel scared. It makes sense that I would leave these last minute doubts for today, because that's exactly something that I would do, but I know that I'm not going to turn into a runaway bride.

She hands me a shot of I-don't-know-what and I wrinkle my nose. After a moment of hesitation, I drink it all up. Anything that'll help me calm down a bit.

"What if I make a fool out of myself?" I ask her.

"You won't," someone says from behind me.

I turn around, and it's my dad. Otherwise known as the man who hasn't spoken a word to me in 4 years ever since he found out I was gay.

He's in a black tuxedo, and has a warm smile on his face. He's standing in a tough manner, with his head held up high in a display of strength.

I've only seen him in photos on Facebook for the past few years, and he seems more real now. The passing of 4 years have made their mark on him, with subtle wrinkles becoming more obvious and his familiar hazel eyes becoming more tired.

It's shocking to see him after all of this time. It's not a pleasant surprise or gift, that's what I'm sure of.

"What are you doing here?" I angrily ask him.

"Can we take a little walk?" My dad asks me.

It's strange to hear him speak clearly. His voice used to haunt me at night, but it was also the sound that kept me company when I was playing games as a child. Now, 4 years after he abandoned me, it feels sharp.

"Why?" I snap at him.

"I just want to talk to you," he responds.

"Just go talk to him," Cameron pipes in.

She knows how much that loss meant, and she always had the hope for me that he would eventually come around. I just wish that she wouldn't interfere in our relationship, especially on my wedding day.

So, I simply roll my eyes in response, but I decide to follow him out of the room.

I don't know why. Maybe it's the nice high of knowing that I'll be getting married, or maybe it's 18 year old me that's desperate for a second chance.