thirteen; ❝turn of events❞

Aurora's POV

I blush as she takes my hand, and we even decide to sit on a wooden bench outside the ballroom. She's clearly afraid to tell me something. I can tell, but my mind goes blank as to what it could possibly be that she wants to tell me.

"Aurora, since the day I met you, I knew there was something special about you. Now, I need to confess something," she says.

She still looks nervous to say it so I give her a kiss on her cheek for the sake of her comfort. She clears her throat, and finally continues.

"Call me crazy, but I think I'm in love with you."

To think that we started out as two oblivious strangers; one with a fear of falling for someone again and the other with a dangerous amount of shame toward herself. The world is so complicated, but our path taken was meant to be. All of the pain and the tears were sacrificed for where we are now. I don't regret anything that we did, because I know that, I too, am in love with her. 

So, I do something that I always do best, and I burst into tears. 

"Did I say something wrong?" She asks, suddenly afraid.

"No, no," I say wiping away my tears, "they're happy tears."

She smiles, and a faint tinge of a blush that I've grown to adore creeps onto her beautiful face as she stares at me. I take a little breath before I lean in and close my eyes. It's just us in this moment, and she's all I can think about. Her lips are soft and bring up in the normal sparks in me.

Suddenly, a voice interrupts us, "Well, well, what is this? I thought my sister was normal."

Rosa's POV

I hastily pull away, horrified to hear Adrianna's voice. She's standing there, looking at Aurora and I with a disgusted expression.

 I can't move or do anything.

I'm frozen.

"What are you doing here?" I'm able to squeak out.

"I was looking for you, so that I could get a picture of you and your date. And now, I find out that your date is her."

She wrinkles her nose in disgust.

"I'm disgusted by you. Now, I'm sure mom and dad will be interested in knowing that their very own daughter is a dyke," Adrianna says.

I stay still, shut down by fear. She doesn't even give me time to think before she grabs my arm, and takes me away from Aurora. Without my permission, she rips off my corsage and throws it on the ground, stomping on it at the same time with her sharp heels. I can't do anything about, and I silently watch Aurora sit back in disbelief. 

The messy tears are already streaming down my face, and all of my thoughts are ones of fear and confusion. 

What have I done?

Aurora's POV

I sit still, in stunned silence. That interaction went by so quickly, and I couldn't even defend her. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now, and all I'm doing is worrying about Rosa. It reminds me of the way my very own father reacted when he found out the truth, and now I'm reminded of the horror of it all. Rosa doesn't deserve that. . .  No one does. 

Luckily, no one seems to be around, but then I see someone coming toward me in my direction. When the light shines on the person's face, I realize that it's Ben who has a triumphant smirk on his face. 

"Rosa left? I'm not surprised, I knew Rosa wasn't a dyke like you," he says.

I'm so tired of this.

I let my anger take over, because that's all I have left. 

I stand up, and I kick him as hard as I can in the groin. 

I watch in satisfaction as he doubles over in pain. 

"Bitch!" He yells at me as I walk away.

I don't bother turning back around to help him out, why would I? I easily ignore him, and I go to my car, which is the sole place where I can finally be alone. I can't help but tear up as I drive home, with millions of thoughts rushing through my mind and making me relive the trauma of the night my father left.

Rosa's POV

We arrive home, and it feels like it only takes seconds for Adrianna to inform my parents about everything. I stand there in silence, painfully watching as my parents react to the sudden news. 

"You should be ashamed of yourself," my mom says, and disapproval is already written all over her face.

I know that I've disappointed them in the worst way possible, and when I start wiping away at the sad liquid on my face, my dad takes my hand. I can't even do anything but whine in agony as he twists it, not stopping until he's satisfied with the pain. 

He spits to the ground and says, "I'm disgusted by you."

"We were going to surprise you with a family vacation to visit your grandmother but you're not coming with us, not after what you've done," my mom tells me.

"I'm sorry," I squeak out.

I don't even know what else to say. 

I'm in some terrible state of shock.

"Save it. Go to your room or go somewhere where I don't have to look at you," my dad says.

I run up the stairs, and I lock myself in my room.

What a turn of events.