ten; ❝what will i find?❞

Rosa's POV

In the span of 6 months, our relationship has only gotten stronger. Though we aren't public about our relationship at school, we're still confident with each other, and we don't need anyone else to share their opinions about it.

My previous worries about trying to please my family by fulfilling their meaning of normal have gone away. It was a lengthy process, but I made it. I've realized that I can't sacrifice my own happiness just to make them comfortable, and it would be foolish of me to even try to do that. I'm much more content with myself and my sexuality, and I don't think that'll ever change. 

 It would be a lie to say that I don't still feel some concerns about what they would think if they knew I was a lesbian, but I know now that it's not worth it to stop being who I am because of that. 

Aurora and I spend a lot of time together, and she's even become friends with Cameron. I know that at times, Cameron has felt insecure because she worries that I might be forgetting her, so that's when I make an extra effort to make her feel seen and aware of the fact that I love her. Last week, Cameron and I went on a trip to the mall where all we did was stuff our faces in overpriced food and shop at the small stores with a wide range of items. I had come home with a sparkly short dress, much to the dismay of my mother, and I had worn it the next day to school while everyone judged me. You only live once, right?

Now, I'm talking on the phone with Cameron who is going on and on about the upcoming events at school. Specifically, the one event that can define your entire high school experience: prom. 

"So, are you and Aurora going to prom together?" Cameron eagerly asks me.

 She's always been involved in every school activity, from the debate team to a soccer game, you can find her everywhere. I've never cared much about the high school community, so a dance with a bunch of teenagers isn't exactly my definition of excitement. With Aurora though, I do imagine that it would be different, but I'm still concerned about it. 

"Honestly, I don't know. We're both a little hesitant to have our relationship public at school."

"Oh, come on. It's the last year of high school, you won't even see these people again after this year," Cameron says.

 She's right. 

"We'll think about it."

"I guess that's the best I can get."

"So, are you still going to prom with Edward?" I ask her.

Edward is the awkward computer-obsessed guy that she's been dating for a few months, as hard to believe as it is. Cameron has never been one to bother with relationships, but she said that when they had met at Walmart, it was love at first sight. She hates her job there, but apparently Edward's frequent visits make it all worth it.

I suppose that I don't mind him, but would it be bad to say that I don't exactly know if they'll make it past a year? I've still been supportive though, because he does make her happy and that's all a best friend could ask for. In fact, I recall how at one point, we had gone on a cheesy double date together. It was at a tacky restaurant that Edward had picked out, but I saw in action how Cameron found all of it to be adorable. 

"Yes, I was going to suggest we go prom dress shopping but you don't even know if you're going."

"I said that I'll think about it," I roll my eyes, as if she can see me doing so. 

"Whatever," is all she says and then she hangs up.

Well then.

I stand up from my bed, and start pacing around, but at that moment, my sister Adriana comes in to interrupt me. People have always said that we look alike, but frankly, I don't see it. She's much taller than me, and it's almost as if she inherited all of the sweeter traits of better hair and facial features.