fifteen; ❝how to describe her?❞

Rosa's POV

Another week passes without my family around. I have no idea when they'll be returning, or what's coming up next in my future. I'll admit that this week has been far better than the last one though, since I've been spending much more time with Aurora and I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that my family will never accept me. 

Suddenly, phone rings and I jump from the cozy sofa to answer it.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Your grandmother is coming home with us. She said that she really wants to visit you since you couldn't visit her," my dad explains, "we should be getting home today or tomorrow so the house better be in top shape. You can not embarrass yourself like you usually do, you need to be perfect, which means forgetting all about your perverted desires. All right?"

"Yes," I answer.

All I can think about is how he surely must be insane. There's no other excuse for his behavior, and I'm going to resent him for it. He hangs up on me, so I put the home phone away on the table. 

 I don't really care what he says, but at least I have an answer about where they went. Trips to Colombia have always been my favorite, and they know that. They've always known that, and it hurts even more. 

Later that day, I'm getting ready for them to arrive. When I spot the familiar white car on the driveway, I know that it's them. I've barely finished applying my makeup when I hear the main door open downstairs. That's my cue for me to start moving, and so I walk downstairs, trying not to trip over myself like a fool. 

"Hello, grandma," I greet my grandma in Spanish.

She's a sweet lady, much shorter than me and everyone else here. Her smile is warm, and her eyes are a comforting shade of brown. She's essentially like an exact replica, but female version of my father. She's always been kinder though, unlike him. I recall that the last time I saw her was three years ago, yelling goodbye from our rusty old truck on the dirt roads and leaving to the airport. 

"Hello, my dear. I'm so glad I could come and visit you," she says in Spanish.

I spot my dad frowning at my outfit, and I shrug out of annoyance. I glance down at my light blue high rise jeggings with my blush cropped sweater and my black slip ons. I can find nothing wrong with my outfit, or with me. He's always made an issue out of everything that I do, and ow it's only worse. He'll always find a way to make me look bad, and right now, he's doing an excellent job at doing so.

"Can we talk?" My grandmother asks me.

"Of course," I answer.

My dad shoots me daggers with his eyes, and my mom tenses up when my grandmother takes my hand. They're acting as I'm going to attack the poor lady.

"Let's sit on these sofas to talk," she says.

I nod my head, and we sit next to each other on the soft seats made for us. It was the same sofa that I slept on with Aurora last week. I still remember her touch, and the way she sets fires inside of me that only she has the ability to put out. I even have the audacity to smile at the memory, especially because I know that my family will never have any idea all that went on while they were gone. 

They'll never find out about that, and they don't even know who it is that I'm dating. 

"How are you, my dear? They give work over your summer vacation too? When will that school stop?"

Homework? Such a terrible lie.

"I'm fine. Yes, they give so much work and it's terrible," I say.

"Do you want me to tell you a story? I believe you need to hear the lesson."

I nod my head.

"When I was a child, I once saw mud. I thought it was mud. I jumped into the mud without much thinking, and I quickly realized that the mud wasn't actually mud. It was animal poop. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't jump into something without knowing what you're getting into. I think you shouldn't start doing your work if you don't know what you're even going to be doing next year. Take a break," she explains.

It's a random story, but I think I understand her point. She can bring up the most obscure things and somehow make it relevant. She's incredibly wise, and I don't plan on ever ignoring her advice. Even though her advice doesn't really fit my current situation right now.

"I suppose. That story was a bit disgusting though," I comment.

"You're absolutely right, but it had a good lesson to it. I hope that you never face anything disgusting like that."

My dad storms up to his mom with an angry look in his eyes.

"Mother, I'll tell you the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of. Adrianna caught two girls kissing and I am deeply still disgusted about it. I still gag, just thinking about it."

My grandmother furrows her eyebrows and blinks.

One time.

Two times.

Three times.

"Son, love is love. Have I not taught you that?"

His face clouds with anger and embarrassment.

"Mother, it is simply disgusting and should not be allowed. Your granddaughter here—" he almost spits in my direction, "was the girl that Adrianna caught kissing another girl."

"So what? I still love Rosa all the same. Who am I to judge anyone at all?"

My grandmother supports me.

My father squirms, clearly embarrassed that his own mother disagrees with him. He's used to everyone agreeing with him, and this is clearly part of a strange uncharted territory.

"So, who's the lucky girl?" My grandmother asks me.

My father storms off with Adrianna out the door while my mom stays and even sits on another sofa across from us. The sight of my mom brings me warmth, because it means that another person supports me. And, I think that's another miracle.

"Her name is Aurora," I begin.

I find it both very easy and extremely difficult to describe Aurora. The girl who owns my heart and has changed my life for the better. I don't know if any description I give about her can properly explain who she is and how she makes me feel.

How can I describe her?