ten; ❝what will i find?❞

Start from the beginning

 Besides that, our personalities are completely different, and that's displayed even in our style. She's currently wearing a red crop top with a short black skirt, and black shiny sandals as if she's getting ready to leave the house, but she's not. I always stick to comfy outfits, such as the set of grey sweats that I'm wearing right now, even though it bothers her that I don't always put in a lot of effort.

Even though she's in her last year at a university, she visits home frequently and always finds ways to annoy the hell out of me. Like right now, for example!

"What do you want?" I ask her.

"I need to take you prom dress shopping. Who are you going with? Such a shame you and Ben aren't together anymore," she responds.

My family was not that happy when they heard the news about us breaking up, and I think that secretly, they all still have the hope that we'll find our way back to each other. If only they knew. Even though it's been months, my sister still commonly brings it up and can't seem to let go of the perfect fantasy. 

"I'm not going to prom."

"Are you insane? You need to go."

"I don't know. Prom seems overrated."

She glares at me. She never had the chance to go to her prom dance, mainly out of shame because all of her friends had gathered up dates, while she hadn't. She's always hated feeling left out, so she had decided to just not go. I still remember that day and how we spent the evening together, in fuzzy pajamas and without a care about anything outside. I think that if I were to use the same excuse though, she wouldn't accept it. 

"Fine!" I decide, "I'll go."

The decision is impulsive, and I'll definitely have to run it by Aurora later.

"Good. Ask someone to prom or just wait until a guy asks you," she instructs.

I'm not going with a guy.

"Tell me when I can I take you shopping."

I nod my head. She's about to leave out my door, but then she turns back around.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Everyone at the school prom can bring someone with them as long as they aren't over the age of 21. I should go to your prom with you."

I wrinkle my nose because of course she would suggest something like that. It's typical of her to insert herself into my life even when there's no need to. I'm not surprised that she's able to dig up some obscure fact about prom for her own benefit. She's persistent and determined when she wants something. 

The rule itself has never made sense to me, because honestly, I think that people out of high school should enjoy the fact that they survived this place, and should stay out of it. Not my sister though! She just has to follow this rule as if she's always an obedient follower. 

"Just bring me to the prom, and then you can go off with your date or whatever. I never went to my prom so I should go to yours."

She adds that she just wants to have some fun, and enjoy what she never could before. For a second, I even start to feel bad for her which causes me to make a decision that I already know I'll regret. 

"Okay, fine, whatever," I finally say.

She's practically begging me, and if I say no, my parents will probably scold me for not being a good sister. Like always. This time though, she smiles which shows how clearly satisfied she is, and she finally leaves. I take the moment alone to start dialing Aurora's number, and I immediately call her. 

It rings once.

Twice.

It's picked up.

"Hey, Rosa. What's up?" She greets me enthusiastically. 

"I know that this is a really lame way to ask but, uh, will you go to prom with me?" I ask.

 A long pause occurs, and I hear her clear her throat.

"Yes! You're ready to be public about it at school?"

"I guess so, are you?" I respond.

I'm not sure about this decision, at all, but Cameron was right about one thing: this is my last year here and it's not as if I'll ever see the homophobic students again.

"If you are, then I am too. I can't wait for prom now," she says.

Aurora had been ready to be public about us since day one, but she was always kind and didn't pressure me to want to be out at school. She also understood that I'm not out to my family, and that carries a lot of risk for us. 

"I can't either. Well, I should say bye now, Adrianna is trying to drag me away to go prom dress shopping."

"Pick a pretty dress that's as pretty as you," she adds.

"Only for you. Bye!," I say.

"Bye!" She says before hanging up, and I'm left smiling like a lovesick idiot.  

I'm going to prom with Aurora. My girlfriend, the best person in the entire world.

"Adrianna!" I yell.

"Yes?" She shows up at my door and asks me.

"I'm ready, take me shopping."

I might as well get this part of the plan over with.

"Great. Who are you going with?" She asks, pursing her lips together.

"Someone," I respond.

"Fine, don't tell me. Get ready, we're leaving in 20 minutes."

She leaves my room before I can protest about the time. I get up from my bed, and I throw my hair up into a messy bun. I put on a pair of light denim blue jeans on and a white tank top with a purple plaid shirt along with my black Vans. I grab my brown shoulder bag and I run down the stairs.

"Finally," my sister says impatiently.

  I roll my eyes and say, "I'm ready."