16: be my friend

PARK SOOMI'S POV

Somehow this had happened.

Namjoon was hovering over me, staring at my eyes with his wide ones. Both of his hands by my sides, and his face only inches away. "Don't move," he whispered, his voice raspier than ever.

I gulped hard like a goldfish, my heart starting to beat faster the immediate second after our contact. I hated how it was making such a loud noise and I prayed he wouldn't hear it.

"I won't," I mumbled back, my voice almost trembling.

Namjoon didn't say anything in reply. His breath was fanning my lips, making my heart to almost pull a stunt and jump out of my ribcage any second.

The distance between us got smaller. He moved his face closer to mine.

Holy mother of Kentucky fried chicken!

I closed my eyes not knowing what to expect there, or, maybe I knew. I had watched way too many romance movies and shoujo anime to not know.

But nothing happened.

I opened my eyes and quickly sat up when I saw him sitting at the other end of the table with a blank expression on. "Go home," he said, his eyes unfocused and fixated on the wall ahead of me.

"Okay," I barely spoke before quickly getting up and taking my bag with me. "Where will you meet your friend today?" I asked just before leaving.

"Shinsa-dong cafe," he said in a monotonous voice, still sitting straight, almost like a robot with no expression written on his face.

***

Shinsa-dong cafe was just around the very corner of the Omelas library he once introduced me too. At afternoons, I'd sometimes find myself there, skimming through the old and torn books, finding myself at home in those battered desks. Though I hardly ever read.

Nontheless, I was here today for no reason, or there was one.

I was only here in case I was needed to kill someone. Specifically her.

I didn't quite know the cafe was right there. Feeling a bit forlorn, and confused I had found myself back at the library to clear my own head and spend some time with my bohemian buddies, which in this case, were books.

When I realized the cafe right there was the place where Namjoon was probably getting his heart broken, right that very second, I found myself frozen there until the sky had started to darken.

I always loved girls, girls made my heart feel soft and warm. I just knew girls deserved all the love in this world, but whenever Namjoon's sad expression of him talking about his friend came to my mind, I could feel my blood boiling.

Maybe not every girl there deserved love. Some clearly didn't know how to appreciate it.

I almost damaged the can of coke I had in my hand out of anger, but then I quickly regained myself. I took deep breaths and mulled over everything in my brain. With the oversized black sweatshirt, the black baseball cap, and the mask, I almost looked unrecognisable . I did look like a murderer, and a stalker. I knew I had to leave but—

Whenever Namjoon talked about his friend, his eyes showed the most sorrowful expression I'd ever seen on anyone. Though I only got to see that a few times, it was clear that it hurt him to even reminisce of her.

I was worried.

I threw away the empty can of coke to a trash bin that was near me, and when I looked up, I saw a tall figure walking out of the cafe. I could tell it was Namjoon.