Awkward Walk

Logan shoved his hands in his pockets, trying to hide his nervousness.

The silence was consuming as Alex chased after her child as she waddled on her newly walking legs. Picking her up and twirling her around whilst roaring like a zombie/lion crossover and falling into step with Logan.

"So," she began. "How have you been?"

"Good." he stated, "You?"

"Never better." she smiled at him, but he knew her so well that he knew her facial expression as her 'acting face.'

Alex put Lily down and held her hand as she walked.

"If its not too personal, can I ask why you adopted Lily?" Logan ran a hand through his hair.

"I got lonely." she replied simply.

"So you're single?" he pressed, trying not to sound hopeful.

"Yeah. You?" she glanced at him.

"Uhh...no." he felt guilty now. She felt her heart drop into the pit of her stomach. He'd gotten over her. She hadn't gotten over him.

"That's great!" Alex chimed happily. Logan couldn't detect any sarcasm in her tone. "I'm glad you're happy." she continued to smile.

He was taken aback by this. He wanted to say 'I'm not.' And profess his love for her because his feelings never faded.

Alex opened the door to the Pancakeria three blocks from her house. Lily waddled in and found them a bench seat.

Alex held the door open behind her, waiting for Logan to remove himself from his daze.

God. He thought. The last time he was in here he had just asked Bob Daddario for his daughter's hand in marriage.

"You alright?" Alex asked, genuinely concerned.

"Yeah I'm fine." He shook away the memory. "You should have let me get the door for you." he smiled and Alex laughed like 'yeah, cause that's gonna happen.'

After sitting down and ordering, the conversation was non-existent. Lily, who was busy colouring in so outside of the lines one had to wonder why it was called colouring in. Despite being preoccupied, she stood on the seat.

"Why aren't you talking? I thought you loved him." Lily asked confused, looking between Logan and Alex.

Logan caught himself wondering what that meant but he didn't say anything just in case she continued. He looked down at the table to hide his smile.

Alex laughed nervously indicating her daughter was wrong, crushing Logan's dream.