Chapter 8: Small world

Start from the beginning

Later on that Night

I knocked on Mia's door to see what my son was whining about. The door quickly opened and she rolled her eyes "Yes"

"Damn, that's not a nice way to greet somebody," I said walking in. "What's this I hear you being mean to my son? I asked. She tightened her robe placing her hand on her face. "You mean our son? She questioned. "I damn near died giving birth to him....I didn't do anything to that boy, he just wants to see you," she said tiredly. "Dreux... your daddy is here" she called. "Yeah .. daddy is home" I joked.

"Daddy" he ran down the steps jumping on me. "Wassup kid," I said picking him up. I kissed his cheek "I missed you" he said.

"I missed you more man" I smiled. "Y'all have fun... I'm gotta go to work in the morning" she crossed her arms going upstairs. My eyes followed her as she tiredly went upstairs. Mia is a nurse at a hospital and has several degrees until this day I don't even know how the two of us magically created a child. I'm charismatic and playful and she's serious with a severe chip on her shoulder. I know her reasons but she never lets up ever.

"Dad, am I going with you? He asked looking up at me. I sighed "Nah, not tonight, I came to tuck you in but I promise this weekend you can," I said. I can tell he was disappointed it just wasn't safe for him to be out and about with me everywhere right now. When I looked at him I just saw an innocent little boy. He has no idea what his father and uncle have done. I just couldn't forgive myself if something happened to him. I picked him up slamming him in the bed. "Be good, stop giving your momma a hard time" I said throwing the covers over him. "Okay," he nodded. "I love you," I said turning off the switch. "Love you too Dad," I said.

"Mia" I called.

"Yeah" she answered from her bedroom. I cracked the door peeking in. "I'm ou-

I saw her looking at her face in the mirror. Her face was now turning red in certain areas and I knew it was her lupus flaring up. "You good? I asked walking in. She turned the other way walking to her bathroom. "Yeah, I'm good thanks for calming him down," she said. Dreux had ADHD and that combined with what she had going on she didn't have much patience with him and I know she wanted to but it was hard. "Mia, come here," I said.

She sniffed "I'm good.. I'm good, it'll go away" she said. "You need to go to the hospital its only going to get worse," I said. She turned around "I'm tired of going to the hospital, I just don't feel like it," she said.

"I'll put some makeup on it and I'll be fine to go to work in the morning," she said trying to go past me. "Like its ever that easy," I said. She was so independent for her own good, she never wanted me to console her or anything. "Just stop... I still think you're beautiful" I said.

"Dreux .. stop" she rolled her eyes. "Stop what? I asked. "I hate when you do this, where not even together and you do all this mushy stuff. Its no point" she said.

"You're the reason, were not together Mia," I said. She frowned covering her face, I pulled her into a hug holding her. "Its too much sometimes, all of this" she cried "I know mama, I got you though," I said. I didn't care that we weren't together I was going to be there for her whether she liked it or not. I was going get her back one day. She quickly let go of me "Stop, just stop. Uhh, it drives me crazy how this just can't work. You can't keep coming here at night... when you know I'm vulnerable; we can't confuse Dreux" She said wiping her eyes.

I bit my lip pulling the strings across her robe revealing her bra and panties. "It drives me crazy, how fine you are" she giggled covering her face like a shy little girl. It didn't take much for all that tough shit to go out the door, and she hated it. I got on top of her "Were getting back together" I said kissing the side of her neck.