The Loss

Mr. and Mrs. Slain sat at home waiting for Evander to get back from work. They were seated in the living room flipping through channels on the TV and listening to the strong wind hitting the house outside. Prepared to go join some of Mr. Slain's work friends at a restaurant, they were both dressed up. Mrs. Slain had on her one piece teal-colored dress that she wore to her prom back in high school. She always chose that when going to parties or gatherings. The dress sparkled in fake and shiny jewels attached along the bottom. Before putting it on she always goes and look at the prom picture sitting by the television, where her teenage self is wrapped in Mr. Slain's arms, standing against him with a wide smile.

Mr. Slain had on a thin black sweater with black dress pants and black loafers. He wore a small silver necklace around his neck. While sitting next to his wife he couldn't take his eyes off her. He loved seeing her in that dress. Just like it did Mrs. Slain, the dress reminded him off their high school days.

Mrs. Slain was slightly shaking, thinking about something in particular that was making her feel uneasy. the longer she thought of it the worse it got. It sent more chills through her body. Her son. Evander. The Thought of him was chilling her spine. Her own son has been the reason why she's been having horrific nightmares for the past couple days. The nightmares. She thought they were beyond terrifying. How could her imagination generate something so horrid of her baby? She had a slight idea of what it could be. Evander had done something his parents never thought he'd do, something that got him into some trouble, and she was worried about it more than Mr. Slain was. So she thought the nightmares was her subconscious mind trying to tell her that she worried about Evander becoming a bad kid....at least that's what she tried her hardest to convince her self that, that's what the dreams meant. Deep down she knew there was another possibility - another meaning. She constantly tried to push the other explanation away and stay unconscious of it.

Mr. Slain glanced over at her and saw the worried expression she held. He shook his head and said, "Alright Angie, it's time to speak up and tell me somethin'. You and Evan been off lately. Ya'll been actin hella strange...tell me what the hell is going on. Now."

He gave her a stern look and crossed his arms as he waited for her to answer. Mrs. Slain hesitated and came very close to lying and making up a story, but instead she let it all out.

"Trav...I been havin' odd dreams. About Evan," Mrs. Slain says, "Scary dreams. They all involved Evan doing things that you and me know he's not capable of."

Mr. Slain glared at her.

"So that's why you been actin' weird all day? Over some Nightmares?" he asks, "a'ight then what's been up with Evan? That don't explain why he been off. So what's wrong with him?"

"I don't know Travis, but there may be something wrong with me. I think there's something wrong with Evan too but I can't figure him out yet until I find out what's going wrong with myself," Mrs. Slain replied.

"What?" Mr. Slain says, "You think something is wrong because of some dreams?"

He sighs then says, "You know what, Evan probably still just mad about what happened at school. So I shouldn't even be all that concerned about him."

He saw that Mrs. Slain's expression now looked twice as worried. When he was about to go and try to console her the phone rang. Mr. Slain went to the phone in the kitchen and answered. He heard some slight background noise on the other end, but after a few seconds it stopped. Who ever called had hung up a little too early. He sighed then put the phone back on the hook before starting back to the living room. But he stopped in the kitchen when he heard something coming from the front of the house. It sounded like someone rambling or struggling to get in. He knew it wasn't in the living room because it seemed to be more distant. Mrs. Slain heard it too.

"Travis?" Mrs. Slain says. He could hear the fear in her voice, "You hear that?"

"Y-yeah," Mr. Slain stammers.

The shuffling noise stopped for a short period of time. Then it started again, being louder the second time.

"Travis did you leave a window cracked?" Mrs. Slain asked.

"Naw," Mr. Slain replies.

The shuffling noise stopped for a few more seconds - then once again came back, three times as loud. Now becoming nervous, Mr. Slain pulled one of the drawers open and picked the biggest knife.

Mrs. Slain's heart was racing. As soon as she stood up off the sofa, she see's a shadow of another person on the door. She knew it wasn't hers. Then soon a ski-masked figure stepped out into view. The figure glared at Mrs. Slain standing in front of the couch. At this point her heart was going to jump out of her chest. Especially when she saw the two sided axe the figure had propped on his shoulder.

"Trav," Mrs. Slain says softly, slowly backing away from the masked figure by the door, with tears streaming down her face.

"Trav," she said a little louder.

 The figure took one step forward, and that was enough to send Mrs. Slain running into the kitchen while screaming.

"Travis!" she screamed, running in the kitchen and wrapping her arms around Mr. Slain.

"What?!" Mr. Slain exclaims, gripping his knife even tighter.

"There's somebody in there!" Mrs. Slain cried.

When Mrs. Slain ran into the kitchen, another smaller and shorter masked figure followed behind the first one Mrs. Slain saw.

Mr. Slain slowly stepped towards the doorway of the kitchen, braced with the knife in hand. Mrs. Slain followed close behind him, shaking and still crying. As soon as he took his first step out in the living room he was stabbed in the eye. Mr. Slain yelled in pain as his wife backed away screaming. Blood dripped from his socket and splattered on the wall nearby, with the small pocket knife still stuck deep in his head. The larger masked figure stepped forward and pulled the blade out of Mr. Slain's eye and began jabbing him in the chest repeatedly. Mr. Slain moaned and groaned as he tried to tell his wife to run.

"A-angie, ru-" he tried to choke, gurgling blood.

Mrs. Slain tried to run past him, but the smaller figure stepped in her way and pushed her to the floor, slitting her throat afterwards. Her vision got blurry from her tears as she held on to her bleeding neck. In fact, her vision was so blurry, she couldn't see the sharp edge of the axe coming down on her.