Chapter 7

The city fair was crowded. Almost every area between the rides was loaded with people. Among those people Evander recognized many kids and teachers from school. For all he knew the entire school and city was there. When he was in line with Lace to get an elephant ear, he saw Angelica on the ferris wheel with her boyfriend, Todd Gray. He saw them as they were rotating to the highest point of the wheel. Evander didn't like the sight of that. As soon as he laid eyes on it he actually felt a painful feeling in his gut, causing him to lean forward and groan. Lace saw this then asked if he was okay. Evander nodded his head letting him know he was all good.

The heat was at it's peak that day. A lot of people Evander saw wondering around looked so hot he could swear their sweat was sweating. Some had sweat stains so large they extended from the top of their chest all the way down to their pubes.  But for him he decided to wear shorts and short sleeved shirt with no t-shirt underneath, so the heat didn't bother him much.

During the entire fair there was a band with a female vocalist performing in front of a crowd near the entrance of the fair. Evander actually enjoyed listening to the music while he wondered around with Lace and had his fun. Off and on him and Lace argued about the genre of music the band was doing. Evander was sure he had the right genre labeled, while Lace of course had to be wrong. When they first got there Evander's parents and Lace's dad decided to join the crowd and watch the band before getting on any rides or buying food. Him and Lace went in right away and got to action, leaving their parents behind. But as they left and entered the rest of the fair, Evander spotted Betty just a little further in the back of the crowd, dancing away and singing to the music with a few of her friends nearby. Right then and there a new objective was created for him: avoid her at all costs. He just glanced away from her and kept going as if he never seen her. He didn't even bother letting Lace know she was there.

Him and Lace actually got on a lot of rides, but after while they quit and just simply began to walk around because the rides were getting expensive. None of the rides were really all that big and scary because it was only a fair and not an amusement park. But overall Evander thought the rides should've been a lot less expensive than they were.

Evander's parents, along with Lace's dad spent most of their time with each other during the day. They didn't get on as much rides as Evander and Lace but they did try something. Mr. Slain did his typical snack and food tasting adventure. There wasn't a stand he didn't visit. Over time Mrs. Slain gradually became annoyed by this, then soon she just swayed him away from eating anymore, afraid that he'd start picking up weight again.

Two other guys Evander constantly kept running into was of course the infamous dread head and baldy. As usual they did nothing but stop and try to flirt with every female they saw, insulting them whenever they got turned down and rejected. Evander and Mrs. Slain witnessed them doing this of many times throughout their time there.  The last time they saw them doing this was when Evander was on the ferris wheel with Mrs. Slain. As they slowly rotated to the top of the wheel, him and his mom saw two security guards confront them about their harassment. The security guards argued with them for a bit, then they walked away. Evander guessed that they must've given the two loonies a warning strike.

"Wow. Those two fools brought they asses here," Mrs. Slain says, rolling her eyes.

"Yup," Evander mumbles, sighing and shaking his head.

The sky was darkening into a navy blue hue, with many stars making it sparkle. The half moon was now visible like the many stars. At this point, some people started to leave the fair but many still remained. The crowd shrunk by a fraction or two, and lines for the rides were a lot shorter. The crowd by the band was also smaller and becoming less packed. Several people in the band crowd were now holding up lighters, slowly motioning back and forth to the slow music.