Chapter 2

The schoolyard is loaded with socializing teens. Some girls were sitting in the grass, seemingly completing homework. Evander guessed that they waited until the last minute to complete it, like he's been doing lately. Some kid on a bike came flying through one of the groups of girls as he laughed and snickered.

"Jack, please! Not today...asshole!" one of the girls shouted.

Evander makes his way across the schoolyard. A few students turned and glanced at him quickly before he entered the building. He heads straight to the cafeteria and hops in line to get breakfast. Three blueberry muffins and a cold milk was his favorite every morning. Out of all the other good stuff they had up there he never tried anything different.

He thinks of Angelica again, wondering if she found a way to get to school. He smirked when he remembered the bus leaving her. The thought of her filled his stomach with more butterflies.

He spots Lace entering the cafeteria ahead. Lace looks confused. Probably looking for Evander. 

I doubt he can barely see anything with that long ass hair covering his eyes, Evander thought.

Evander raises his hand in the air and says, "Lace!"

Lace spots Evander sitting at a table near a window then he slowly begins to jog across the cafeteria towards him.

"Hey man," Lace says, taking a seat across from Evander. Lace is wearing a short sleeved red polo shirt with dark brown khaki shorts. He has blue eyes and brown hair that extends down to to his nose. Him and Evander are just casual male dressers. They didn't bother trying any of the expensive stuff. They thought it was a waste. Evander generally showed up with a flannel shirt and jeans, if not just a plain t-shirt with shorts. He also wore a couple of dog tags everywhere he went.

"How's that history project coming?" Lace asks.

Evander took a deep breath and glared up at Lace with a smile. Lace already knew the answer. He chuckled.

"Don't worry dude I'll help you out," Lace assures, still chuckling.

"I'm glad this is the last year I have to deal with Mr. Gorbs. I feel bad for the freshman," Evander says, making a painful expression.

"Yeah, it'll feel good to be back doing more relaxing work again and not worrying as much," Lace agreed.

During some momentary silence Evander glances behind Lace and sees Angelica swooping in, once again getting the same feeling in his stomach. He smiles.

It looks like you've found a way, Evander thought.

******

The principal, Mrs. Laney makes an announcement while he sits in English class:

"I just want to let all the teachers know that our school buses right along with the city buses are arriving late, so please do not mark the students tardy. Thank You."

A loud click in the speakers was heard. Mrs. Ebony continued speaking to the class.

"Okay, now let's talk about our side assignment. The book report," Mrs. Ebony starts, "How many of you are at least half way finished reading your books?"

Almost all the hands shot up. Mrs. Ebony counted.

"Well, I guess this is great. Now I'm gonna go around and call on each and every one of you to tell the rest of the class what your book is, who the author is, and what your book is about. Also briefly tell us about what you've read so far."