- Eighteen: Thrill of the Hunt -

"Come on!" Dom shouted, pulling my by the arm like a child, "The sun's gonna set soon."

I laughed at the stupidity of it and tried to keep up. I may be more agile, but keeping up with Dom at a running pace still proved to be a challenge.

We finally made it out of the Compound just as the sun was setting. I watched as a few people disappeared into the trees, some running and some walking hand in hand with others. It was beautiful, I decided. These people routinely become animals, but the human side is still there.

"Ready?" Dom asked just as the last licks of the colorful sunset disappeared into the trees.

"I guess so." I replied in a shaky voice. I had forgotten until then that David had said the longer a Werecat resists their panther form, the more painful the shift is when they finally change again.

It'll be fine, Dom's voice whispered

through my head. I had forgotten to shut off my thoughts, Together?

I grabbed his hand in mine without thinking and squeezed. Together, I whispered as the burning began.

I dropped to my knees in the field as the burning took the same path as last time. It traveled up my arms and down my legs and finally settled. In moments it was over, not as long this time. Good.

I opened my eyes with the same awe as the time before, too. The forest lit up and glowed under the moonlight that was peaking through the clouds. The crickets played their songs and my ear could detect the scampering of smaller animals on the forest floor. Mice, maybe. Sadly, even in my panther body I lacked hearing in my right ear. It proved just as useless as my human ear, but the other one made up for it. Somewhere in the distance thunder rumbled.

The world is more beautiful through these eyes, Dom said.

I agreed and we began walking through the forest in silence. Not an awkward silence, though. Just silence.

Finally the deep rumbling of my stomach broke through and Dom made a strange sound. It sounded like a mixture of a burp and something else. He was laughing.

Hungry? he asked sarcastically.

I rammed into his body as a joke, but he was so dense that I ended up toppling over. Pathetic, I growled to myself.

No, just in need of practice, Dom corrected.

Food now, practice later. Is there a panther McDonald's somewhere in these woods? I asked.

Dom laughed, No, but there's something better.

He led the way to an open field. From first glance it appeared empty, but the tiniest of breezes blowing by said otherwise. I caught the scent almost instantly, but took a second to place it. Deer.

I'll let you take the lead, Dom said after sniffing the air for himself. I watched as his nostrils flared and something flashed in his grey slitted eyes.

For once I didn't argue. Typically my heart would be hammering and I would question myself, but not now. Now I was strong and blended with the night. I was a panther.

This should be good, Nick's voice entered then. I could barely catch his scent along with others traveling across the field with the breeze.

Crouching in the tall grass, I completely tunned out of the conversation. The only thing between those deer and me was empty space, which I was quickly closing now. These, I guessed, were my hunting instincts.

Now the deer were only feet away. I sensed that I wasn't hunting solo tonight. I looked on the other side of the herd and saw give more silk panthers.

I was through thinking. I leapt forward and landed on the back of a large buck. It tried to kick itself free but failed. I waited for a split second before the buck made its neck vulnerable. I chose that second to attack and latched on. The buck fell to its knees, knowing it was finished. I felt my mouth fill with blood, which only increased my adrenaline. The buck went limp as I crushed its windpipe.

Behind me I heard the sounds of another struggle as the remainder of the herd bounded into the trees. A second later a wounded deer followed, limping but still able to get away.

Damn, Eran hissed through our heads. The deer must have been his.

Before any of the other four panthers could claim my prize, I turned in each direction, giving a loud hiss.

Damn, Riley, Nick said, bouncing into view.

Pretty amazing for a first timer, Misty said as she and Willow both walked up. I noticed that as panthers I easily stooped them in size.

Did you see that? It couldn't have been anymore perfect! Dom said, prancing over happily.

Eran approached us then and Nick, David and Dom all stepped away from the buck. I, however, remained steadfast.

Move aside, Riley, Dom whispered. I knew only I could hear him.

What? Why? I hissed, remaining still.

The Head takes first servings, Dom said.

But its mine! I killed it, I said, sounding much too much like a child throwing a tantrum.

Move aside. He will bite you, Dom said.

Instead of moving, however, I placed my paw on the other side of my kill.

Eran was just inches away now, staring at me with his massive red eyes. He was so close I could feel his breath on my face. A fat raindrop fell and glided down his snout.

Instead of snapping at me, however, Eran sat back on his haunches and plopped down into the grass on his belly, resting his head on his crossed paws.

I took it as an okay to eat, and tore into the flesh of the deer.

You proved something here tonight, Riley, Dom said. I knew Eran wasn't paying attention.

What's that? I asked.

You're badass, Nick snickered.

With that satisfaction, I happily shared the rest of my prize, knowing I had tempted fate and won.