- Seventeen: Baby Steps -

I woke up the next morning still feeling exhausted. I have only been here for a week, I reminded myself. It had felt like months. Dom and I had sat alone at breakfast the day before to sort some things out.

"I know this is all really confusing," he had said, "but there's nothing either of us can do."

"It could be worse." I replied, gesturing to our own table where Nick had olives over his eyes to make Willow laugh.

"Things won't move fast at all. We have practically forever." He had said after laughing at Nick.

"How old do we live to be?" I had asked.

"Werecats live five years for every human year they gain. Unless their mate dies or is killed, then the lifespan of the remaining mate shortens drastically. So don't go and die on me okay?" He laughed. Dom bowed his head and his curly hair had fallen in his face.

"Wait, how old are you?" I asked suddenly, doing quick math in my head. He looked to be maybe 20, but if he had five years for every human year... "You're 100 years old?!"

"No!" Dom burst into laughter, his silver eyes gleaming, "In the beginning of our lives, we age rapidly. I can have David explain it in detail later, if you want. But by the age of maybe two, a Werecat is already the equivalent of a seven-year-old."

"So you're like five?" I laughed.

"Actually, I'm six." Dom said matter-of-factly.

We both laughed then and it felt good. I didn't like being angry.

"There's one more thing I may have not told the complete truth about..." Dom said a awkwardly after a moment. My heart fell. I was beginning to feel so good, why did he have to ruin it?

"It's not gonna ruin anything," he said, once again reading my thoughts, "I actually do have an affinity."

"Really? What is it?" I had asked, instantly becoming curious.

"I never use it out of morality choices, but it's called Mortem, meaning death in Latin." I gulped at his words, worrying about what that can do.

"I can stare someone in the eye and bring extreme physical and mental pain to them. Not only will their insides burn and limbs spasm, but they'll start to remember the worst experiences of their lives." He said gravely, bowing his head with his eyes shut. Awkwardly I placed a hand on his to try to reassure him. He looked up and gave me a small smile, "That's why I can't use it," He had continued, "I have to stare them straight in the eyes when I do."

"I understand." I said softly, "I hope you never have to use it."

"So do I."

"I know what'll make you feel better." I had said after a while, getting up and pulling Dom behind me by his elbow.

"What's that?" He had asked.

"You can come help me practice with my own affinities."

I was right. Dom sat and watched in awe as I played around with the elements. I wasn't capable of doing anything big yet, but what I could do astounded us both.

"This stupid fire." I grumbled as it interfered with the water I was trying to work with, "It's getting in the way of everything."

"In ancient legends, that means it's the element you're most like." Dom said.

I thought about his words for a moment, but discarded it as a myth. The only element the fire couldn't really interfere with was air.

I conjured up a small breeze to blow past and I caught a sweet scent. It smelt like cinnamon and Christmas. I didn't know how I recognized the scent, but I immediately classified it as Dom.

"It's because our scents match," he said suddenly.

"Alright, explain what you mean and then teach me how to do that. Mind reading is no longer a one way deal." I grumbled, hating that my thoughts weren't my own.

"Okay first, you could've shut me off at any time you wanted, Miss Sassy. Just do the same thing David taught you." I squinted my eyes at the nickname but imagined a door shutting between our thoughts.

"And second, the mates have both a matching scent and a matching birthday. You and I are ironically Halloween babies." He said. That's how I knew the scent! I concluded, He smells like me. I was pleased when no one chimed in on my thoughts.

"Now try to speak to me in your head." Dom said.

I closed my eyes and released all the pressure in my body. Hi, I whispered though my thoughts.

Hi, I heard a familiar voice whisper back.

What's this called? I asked.

Kelting, he said, It's an extraordinarily old art.

I lay back in the field of yellow and purple wildflowers. It was all very beautiful. I glanced over to see Dom sitting up and staring at me with a small smile at the corner of his mouth.

What? I asked.

Nothin', he said jokingly.

It's a beautiful sunset, I said after a minute of silence.

"Come on," Dom said, giving me a hand and hoisting me into a standing position, "time to shift."