Chapter 39

Ava took her first breath

Pure oxygen filled her lungs and it was exhilarating. She craved it, a new way of taking in the environment. Her sense of smell heightened, colluding with the scent of blood. But there were more humans than Prim.

She opened her eyes for the first time.

The Bō sat in her gloved hand. It was different-charged and alive. A surge of power flexed through her fingertips all the way to her soul, vibrated in harmonization with her steady heartbeat. The colors changed. Although the Bō was still black, its darkness was menacing, flowing with this new sensation that was a terrifying storm.

A laser whisked by Ava and exploded the dirt nearby. She neither flinched nor moved. She kept her focus on this intense feeling pushing its way through her veins. Shocks erupted at the core of her stomach, feeding her a new surplus of energy. There was so much compared to before. There was so much it felt like it'd never run out. An unlimited supply, more than what should be humanly possible. Powerful.

Someone called Ava's name, but it sounded so far away compared to everything else. Everything magnified. The battle cry of the weapons resounded through the air. The intense motors from a spaceship as it loaded its canons for another attack. And the screams of Earth, they filled her with such sorrow it broke her heart.

The crust shook beneath her boots. Dirt exploded into the sky. Ripples struck across the plains. The shimmer of a barrier wall reflected itself off the sun's rays and displayed a rainbow effect of colors she never noticed before. Her senses were on overdrive. She could only focus on one thing at a time.

"Ava! Snap out of it!"

Her focus closed in. Darious held a pure white staff. It etched symbols across the dirt, creating this barrier that held them captive together-no, this one protected them.

"I don't know how much longer I can keep them off," he said with surprising calmness. "I'd use my sword, but then I can't use the barrier. Seeing as everyone else is preoccupied at the moment, this leaves you and me to deal with this situation."

Like a telescope, her eyes readjusted once more. High in the sky a white Primordial Warship hovered in midair. Heat radiated off the metal laser guns, red hot rims circled the barrels from the last attack, and they were ready to strike again.

It wasn't as big as Zephyrus' ship, but what made this ship threatening were the weapons and mass cargo stored inside. There were enough supplies to take down the Capitol, and maybe another city after theirs.

Ava briefly took in her surroundings. There was no Marc, no Mom and Gio. Just Josh standing by, deeply engrossed in conversation with his wristwatch. Sam crouched by Mika's side. He laid on the grass, eyes closed, hands twined over his chest as if he were dead.

She stepped towards him, Darious cut her off. "Ava, he'll be fine. But I don't know for how much longer if we don't act quick."

He's right. I need to get a hold of myself. Focus.