Chapter 15

When Ava woke up the next morning, she was head deep in a pillow full of feathers and on a bed she didn't recognize

When Ava woke up the next morning, she was head deep in a pillow full of feathers and on a bed she didn't recognize. Her arm ached and throbbed to the rhythm of her heartbeat. She clenched her teeth. An ace bandage wrapped her upper arm, applying pressure on the wound, but the pain didn't stop. It was too deep in the skin and would take longer than a day to heal. If she were immortal, it would've healed by now.

Medical equipment surrounded both sides of the classic damask bedding, made for a queen. Caterina laid on her side, next to Ava. Silky brown hair flowed down her back as if angels placed it there. She took a deep breath, the beeps on the machine increased.

Her blue eyes met Ava's before she took her hand. "You're awake."

"The pain woke me up." Ava gently held her mom's fingers. They were soft and fragile, nothing like Marc's or Mika's hand. "How did I end up in your room?"

Caterina slowly sat up and used the headboard as her back support. Aged old rings spread across the length like a smooth slab. "Josh brought you here. He told me you needed some one-on-one time with your mom to keep you out of trouble." She patted the bed next to her. "Come. Tell me what's wrong."

Ava wanted to ask her why she kept the gods and reapers a secret, but it would be pointless. Caterina always protected Ava and Gio in her own way. No matter how many times they protested, she told them it was a mother's duty to protect her young.

So Ava shifted around on the bed and scooted closer to her mom. The mattress sunk in under their weight. The pillow was too soft for back support and the room too quiet. At least the comforter kept Ava warm.

She stuffed a hand under her pillow to get it firmer and found a switchblade stashed away in the pillow case. It made her smile. "Mom, do you think it's okay to trust the twins?"

Caterina's plump lips pressed into a firm line. A cold and calculating look crept onto her youthful face, an expression she wore when she dealt under the table.

She picked up a glass of water sitting idle on the nightstand. Water accumulated at the base, and as she took a sip, drops soaked the comforter over her petite waist. "I've always let you be close to Marc because we need to maintain a close connection with his grandparents. Gaining the trust of a few more Ama princes will secure it."

She set her glass back down, then looked Ava straight in the eyes. "But that's my work talking. What does your gut instinct say?"

Ava stretched her fingers out across her lap. She hated this. She just wanted her mom to tell her what to do and what was best, but it always came back to her education. Caterina constantly groomed Ava to be a leader and not a follower.

"Sam has been reliable. He's had my back and can keep up in a fight," Ava said after some much thought.

"And what about Mika? Gio's been telling me you two have been arguing."