The Wallet

I hummed under my breath as I made my way to the bus stop down the street from the bar. The air was uncomfortably cold since it was the beginning of November and all I had on for protection against the weather, was a flimsy jacket.

Tonight had been a work social where everyone on my team had gone to have drinks afterwards. I hadn't originally planned to go tonight. No, I wasn't much of an extrovert. My plans had been to go home, kick off my shoes, and heat myself up a hot cup of tea while I settled down to read my latest romance novel.

I was currently reading one where the protagonist fell in love with a man from a rival gang.

My boss wouldn't hear of my excuses, though. He reminded me that I hadn't been to a single event in the past seven years I had worked there and that it wouldn’t hurt to spend time with my coworkers. I had given into his guilt and regretted it instantly when I had walked through the bar doors.

Rocky, who was one of my coworkers, had been there with some of his buddies and had taken it upon himself to stick to my side like a sea crustacean.

He had asked me out several times over the years, but each time, I had told him no. I wasn't interested in dating anyone right now. Well, more that I wasn't interested in dating him right now. I thought he had taken the hint that I wasn't interested, but after tonight, where he had taken any chance to touch or talk to me, I didn't think that was the case.

It wasn't really his fault, I guessed. He was an attractive guy and all, but he just wasn't my cup of tea.

The bus stop was pretty crowded with everyone trying to head home from work and I struggled to find somewhere to sit. My feet were swearing at me by this point and I promised them that I would give them a nice foot soak once we got home. Luckily, a middle aged man took pity and offered me his seat on the grimy bus bench.

A few minutes later, the bus pulled to a jerky stop in front of us. The sun was beginning to dim in the sky, hinting that dusk was upon us, and I had to squint away as I stood up from the bench.  It had been an emotionally and physically exhausting day and I planned to take full advantage of my bathtub once I arrived home. I began walking towards the bus, when something near the trash bin by my feet caught my attention.

It was a black, leather wallet.

I glanced around to see if anyone else had noticed it or were searching for it. When I didn't see anyone, I bent down and picked it up off the cement. Opening the folds, I found a male’s driver's license and a large wad of hundred dollar bills. It was probably someone's rent.

The address said that it was a block away from here.

I blew out a puff of air as I debated about what I should do. If I took it to the address, then I'd have to wait another 30 minutes for the next bus to arrive. On the other hand, if I were to take it there, it would save me an extra stop to the police station or post office.

The last few people were trickling onto the bus and I groaned inwardly as I made my decision. If it were me, I would have been worried sick that I had lost all of this money. I would want someone to come deliver it to me if I were in their position.

My feet were practically crying in their heels, but I ignored them the best that I could as I began trekking down the uneven street. It would just be a quick errand. Fifteen minutes max.

As I turned the corner, I instantly regretted my decision to personally deliver the wallet instead of mailing it.

The street was littered with rundown, sketchy houses.

Homes on both sides of the street were marked in colorful graffiti art. I noticed that the most common theme was a silver “B” that several homes appeared to be adorned with. A few groups of young people mingled around some old cars that were parked out on the street, though they hardly paid me any attention as I passed by them.