23

Sophia stares at Simon in shock, before she can say anything they are interrupted. "Here you two are, grandfather is ready for his big announcement." Tiffany holds back the smirk that wants to take over her face at seeing those two together so intimately. She wishes that she'd gotten there just a bit sooner though. She'd dearly love to know what her father said to Sophia to make her look so shocked.

"We'll be right in," Simon responds and Tiffany turns back to the party. She hopes that they will be able to work out their differences. Sophia would be a wonderful mother even if she is only a few years older than her.

"I've shocked you, I see. I've tried, Sophia, I really have to stay away from you but I can't." Sophia deems it wise to interject at this point.

"I really like you, Simon, I think that was made clear months ago. Once your brother comes back you will have to choose between us and we both know who you will choose." Sophia smiles sadly and steps back from the warmth and comfort of his arms. "If I could believe that you would choose me over your family then it would be different.

"What would you do if you found your brother dead and me holding the weapon that killed him?" Sophia looks at him, but doesn't wait for an answer that won't be coming. "I won't make you go through that decision. He will come for me and I will protect myself. But I'll protect Tiffany even more. I will kill him and then you'll kill me, but at least Tiffany will be safe."

Simon is now angry, "Why are you so sure that I'll kill you?" 

Sophia gently takes his head and makes him look at her, "He is your brother. Mafia code, right? You kill blood the blood retaliates. I won't even run or defend myself when the time comes, but I will protect Tiffany at all costs."

"You love her," Simon says as the meaning comes through.

"As if she were my own. I wish she were," Sophia says and angrily wipes the stray tear away. "We better go, your father has this grand announcement. After which I'll be able to make my escape."

Sophia turns from him and starts walking towards the house, "Sophia, I..." Sophia pauses to listen.

"It's alright, Simon. I'm sorry." Sophia says not even turning to him. She continues on into the house. Soon this hellish night will be over and she'll be able to cry herself asleep, again. Damn, she's tired of these tears.

"Thank you all for coming here tonight," Jared announces to the crowd of people before him. Sophia had finally made it to his side and Simon on his other side.

"I want to take this opportunity tonight to not only congratulate a lovely lady that has come to mean as much to me as a daughter, on her accomplishments, she's worked hard for this. Even harder since she's had so many physical issues to overcome. She has truly earned this night and can stand proud for her accomplishments.

"I'd also like to make an announcement, now that she is finished with her studies she will be working at the corporate headquarters. She will be working as a vice president under my son, Simon. 

"In six months I'll be relinquishing full control over to Simon. He has more than demonstrated his abilities as well. I do hope that you all will be able to support them both in their new roles." Jared says it in a way that the people knew that they better or else.

Jared had had both her and Simon stand before everyone while he makes this announcement. Once he finishes she needs air more than anything. She knew that he wanted her to help Simon, but he hadn't said anything to her for months. She thought he'd decided not to go through with it.

Sophia manages to keep the fake smile in place as she does her best to work her way out of the crowd that wants to wish her well in her new job. She manages to break free from the crowd, but she doesn't make it outside before things start going black.

Simon keeps his eye on Sophia during the announcement. It's obvious to him at least that Sophia hadn't expected this. He doesn't like how white she's gotten. He follows behind her as she makes her way out of the room. He's just a few steps behind her when she starts to fall.

He manages to catch her before she hits the ground. His heart clenches painfully, she doesn't have another tumor does she?

"Go get the doctor!" Simon demands of the stunned maid that saw what happened. His words galvanize the maid and she hurriedly starts looking for the doctor.

Simon delicately clasps Sophia as he makes his way to the infirmary. He just silently prays that this isn't a sign of a reoccurrence of the tumor. He sets Sophia down on the examination table and does his best to make her comfortable.

It doesn't take long for the doctor to come in. At about the same time Sophia starts to wake up.

She opens her eyes then closing them in pain. The lighting is much brighter in the infirmary. "Where am I?" She asks, she can feel people in there but she doesn't know who they are.

"You fainted," Simon answers her, "and I brought you to the infirmary."

His words make her returning color fade once more. "It's not the tumor growing back is it?" There is a great deal of fear in her voice. Death holds no fear for her, but until Corey is taken care of she doesn't want to die.

Doctor Rosen makes his way to her side and starts asking her questions. "What can you tell me about what happened?"

Sophia holds a hand up to her head. It's starting to pound rather fiercely. "Jared springing that wonderful surprise on me. I was hot and couldn't breathe so I was trying to make my way outside. I saw the doors to the terrace then nothing."

"How much food have you eaten today?" 

"Not much to be truthful, I've been a nervous wreck all day. Some toast for breakfast and some fruit later on." Now that he mentions it she's starving and her stomach makes itself known.

Rosen smiles and continues his questions, "How about water? Have you kept your fluids up?"

"Better than the food, but I haven't had nearly enough fluids."

"Last question," Dr. Rosen actually blushes with this one and refuses to look at Simon behind him. They all know how he feels about Sophia, "is there any chance you could be pregnant."

Simon goes from a relaxed but alert position to a tense almost angry one with that last question.

"You have to have sex to get pregnant doctor. I haven't had time or partner for such activities. No, there's no chance." That last bit was directed to Simon. She really doesn't want him to kill Felix and she knows that he was getting ready to if her answer had been any different.

Because of how much time she's spent with Tiffany, she's also spent a great deal of time with Felix. Simon would assume that it was Felix and that Tiffany was just a cover. She really hopes that Felix talks to Simon soon.