6

Sophia doesn't know what to expect from Mr. Royal and so sits nervously in the car as they drive to the restaurant where they have reservations. She occasionally gives Mr. Royal scared glances from the corner of her eye.

After some time of watching her nervous behavior Mr. Royal speaks up, "Do you fear me, Sophia?"

"Only a fool wouldn't sir. I would hope that I'm not a fool." Sophia's words are said quietly, but are carried to the whole car.

"You are no fool, Sophia, but at the same time you have no reason to fear me either. You are under my direct protection unless you choose to leave my territory."

"Forgive me sir, but what happens when I anger you? I have a bad habit of talking before engaging my brain. At least that's what my parents tell me." Mr. Royal gives her a small smile.

"Before I rescind my protection you would have to do more than insult me thoughtlessly. You would need to betray me or cross me in some way. I just don't see you doing that, Sophia. You have been a loyal employee so far and I don't see that as changing any time soon."

"No, sir. I have no intentions of ever betraying you. My life may not be the best, but I do like it." When she finishes speaking Mr. Royal watches as she slyly tries to wipe away the tears before they fall.

"Tell me. Sophia, do you think that I would be even less loyal to those that give me loyalty?" Sophia's eyes widen.

"In truth sir, I hadn't thought of it that way. No, sir, I think from what I've seen and been told by Simon, that you reward loyalty and only punish those that are disloyal. I would never intentionally impugn your honor."

"Calm down, Sophia, I know you didn't mean any insult. I just want you to think about things. You say Simon talks to you about me?" Mr. Royal is interested about this.

"Not much, sir. He admires you, but he doesn't say much, I think because he doesn't want to be disloyal, nor does he wish for me to know too much of the darker businesses."

Mr. Royal smiles, "Darker businesses, I like how you describe them, Sophia. It's a very apt description for everything that is illegal." Mr. Royal sits forward in his seat and looks intently at Sophia, "He wouldn't want you mixed up in them any more than I want you to be. Don't worry, Sophia, I won't corrupt you by taking you down the dark path."

Sophia nearly laughs. The idea of Mr. Royal being like Darth Vader or the Emperor is all to real for her to picture. Mr. Royal sits back and smiles. He'd hoped that she'd get the movie reference. "I have many that are willing to follow me down that path. I need those that have no wish to do so and are loyal. That's where you come in. Are you only loyal because you fear me?"

"For the most part yes. When you visited the club you did so in your full power. It's hard to not be intimidated and fearful when you do that." Sophia says starting to lose her fear of him, although she still isn't fully comfortable with him either.

Mr. Royal gives her a half smile, "Well we'll be spending a great deal of time together in the future, so I hope that you will change your mind about me. Don't get me wrong, you are right, only a fool doesn't fear me and there are a great many of those in this world. I hope, however, that you will respect me at least as much as you fear me if not more."

Mr. Royal is pleased with her state of inability to speak. "I hope that you like Italian. It's a bit cliché, I know, but Simon is the one to have made the reservations. Personally, I prefer French. Oh well, we can't always get what we want."

"I think he chose Italian because he knows how much I like it. I could be wrong of course," Sophia says and colors brightly as the car pulls up to the restaurant.

"MY son actually taking note of the likes of a female without being forced to do so. Perhaps the world is coming to an end after all. I've never known Simon to put the likes of a female before his own." Mr. Royal says beyond shocked.

"Oh, well maybe he chose Italian because he is craving it then. I doubt he's paid very close attention to me." Sophia blushes even redder and hotter than before.

"Actually, he doesn't much care for it. That's why when he told me where the reservations were at I thought he must be sick. He actually prefers Indian." Mr. Royal says with shocked tones, but no evidence of the shock in his face.

Mr. Royal watches his young guest even as he escorts her into the building. The hostess seats them immediately upon hearing the name. For the next little while they pour over the menus until a server comes to take their order.

The night goes by quickly and as it does Sophia finds herself relaxing and enjoying Mr. Royal's company. All too soon they find themselves back into the car on their way back to Simon's apartment.

"I've had an enjoyable time tonight, Sophia. I hope that you have too."

Sophia blushes lightly, "Yes, sir. I have to say that I've enjoyed myself far more tonight than I had thought I would." Realizing that she possibly just insulted her host she bites her lips as her eyes open wide in horror. 

Mr. Royal chuckles softly, "Is this an example of what you warned me about at the beginning of the evening, Sophia?"

"Yes, sir. Seriously no disrespect was intended." Sophia looks down in shame tears starting to once more collect in her eyes.

"None was taken. I'm glad you've been able to overcome your fear of me. I would like you to consider calling me by my name, at least for the time you aren't working."

"Your name sir?" This makes Sophia look up shocked. Only a handful of people are allowed that right.

"Yes, my name is Jared, and I would be honored if you could be comfortable enough with me to call me that."

Sophia is so taken by surprise that all she can do is stare at him in shock. The car pulls up to Simon's building. "I'll walk you back to Simon's place." 

Sophia doesn't say anything still trying to process everything Jared told her. She walks automatically at his side and doesn't even notice the elevator or the ride in it. She only comes back to herself as they reach Simon's door and they stop.

"I haven't enjoyed myself this much in years. Thank you for allowing me to accompany you this night. I would be honored if you would allow me this privelege again?"

"I would be honored, sir. I too have had an enjoyable evening, thank you for taking me." Sophia manages to get out.

"Sophia, how is it that no one has claimed you for their own yet?" Jared asks the blushing young woman before him.

"I don't know sir. Most of the male half of the species find me undesirable I guess. They actually actively stay away from me." Sophia once more looks down, but this time in shame. She's never been actively sought after. At least not until Corey started hunting her.

"They are fools, but then again the world is full of them." Jared gives her a kiss on her forehead and takes her key and opens the door for her. "Good night, Sophia."

"Good night sir, thank you once more." Sophia watches as Jared gives her a wave and continues on his way out of the building.

Sophia shakes her head slightly and enters the darkened apartment. She's unable to find the light switch so she doesn't turn on the lights. Making her way carefully across the room she's startled so much that she almost looses her footing when someone says, "Did you have a good time?"