20

Tiffany stops abruptly and almost rams face first into Simon, who had also stopped abruptly.

"Who's this?" The man talking to Simon demands.

Simon side steps and holds to Tiffany so that she doesn't move. "This is Tiffany Montgomery. I'm going to adopt her. Say hello to your new granddaughter father."

Tiffany looks at the man standing so forbiddingly before her. He terrifies her. Father, granddaughter? This man must be Mr. Royal, the mafia boss. Tiffany's eyes widen in fear.

"She looks like a death camp survivor," Jared Royal says and then softens his voice as he notices how Tiffany is shaking.

"Hello, Miss Montgomery, I'm Jared Royal. Simon tells me that we will be family soon." Jared says in a very warm voice.

"Y-yes, Mr. Royal," Tiffany stutters out. She never in her life thought she would talk to the mafia boss.

"Please call me Jared or grandfather, if you please. There are too many Mr. Royals around." Jared gives her a conspiratorial smile.

Tiffany shyly gives him a smile back. "Yes, grandfather. I'd like that. I've never had a grandfather before."

Jared smiles once more then turns his attention back to Simon, "She's waking up. The medical team are in there now swarming like locusts. I think you should go see her once they are done. She was more than a little scared."

"Is there any memory loss?" Simon demands.

Jared shakes his head sadly, "I don't know. I was kicked out before they did any of the questioning. I do know that she recognized me though. How much of the situation she remembers, that I don't know."

"Thank you father," Simon says sincerely grateful for the call from his father and this information.

Just then the door to the room opened and a bunch of medical personnel stepped out. The doctor that had performed her surgery comes over to them.

"Miss Nelson seems to have complete cognitive retention."

Jared glares at the man and he repeats himself. "I mean that she seems to remember everything except for why she's here. She's been asking to talk to a gentleman by the name of Simon."

Tiffany snorts, "Simon is no gentleman."

The doctor looks confused, Felix aghast and Jared amused. Simon just narrows his eyes at his soon to be daughter. "Don't push things Tiffany."

In response Tiffany looks at Simon and bats her eyelashes. "I was taught to not tell lies. Was I wrong?"

With this Jared is unable to hold in his laughter. He's definitely going to enjoy having this young lady around. He ignores the death glare Simon sends his way.

"I'm Simon," Simon says gritting his teeth.

"Go ahead and go on in." The doctor says and then leaves. Jared is still trying to contain his amusement and so doesn't try to stop him.

Simon doesn't wait any longer and slips into the room. 

"Simon?" The soft voice he's been longing to hear is music to his ears.

"Yes, Sophia." Simon goes to her bedside and takes the seat that he'd vacated several hours before.

"I don't understand what the doctor was telling me. What happened, why am I here?"

Simon can't help himself and starts caressing Sophia's hair. "You collapsed in the bathroom at the estate. The maid found you. When you were brought in they found out the reason was because of a tumor."