Not My Daddy

It was done. My name was prominently displayed on the front cover when we presented it to the Riley executive committee. They all smiled and I held my role to perfection. I asked them how my parents were doing, drawing unnecessary attention to our family connection. They all patted my shoulder and wished me well. My co-workers were rather amused at the whole show.

I knew what all this would equal in the end though. They would speak to my father about the proposal. He might even review it personally. At the end of the day, I knew he would show up personally to the signing, whether to embarrass me with my mistakes or to congratulate me on a job well done from his perspective was yet to be seen. I warned Edmund about all of what was going on so he wouldn't wonder about my strange mood at home.

He was ridiculously supportive. I knew I loved him for a reason. I wasn't sure if he would approve of what I was doing, but he thought it was understandable. I was pretty relieved when the Riley side set up the final meeting. I was smug to see that there were no changes to the original proposal, and felt downright superior for getting it done in two months. That's right, two.

Sleepless nights and hastily scribbled notes all over the apartment translated into a finished product in record time and a sizeable bonus going into my account at the end of next pay period. Well, if they signed this week. I was hoping this wasn't some grandstanding event to be put on by my father. I heard the others on the project were nervous because he was coming personally.

I knew I was a little nervous. I made Edmund pick out my best suit, my finest shirt, and the most expensive tie I owned. I wore the watch my parents had purchased for me, despite how ugly it was. I was perfection when I walked out of that house to confront him. Edmund relented and drove me in the Bugatti. I made him drop me off in front, nearly timed to the letter with the arrival of him.

I watched coolly as he went in with the other executives, barely sparing me a nod of acknowledgement. I grinned and made my way to the boardroom. Everyone was punctual, and my team took their seats with our executives. I waited for them to speak first, in order to gauge the mood of this meeting. My father made eye contact with me in front of everyone. Interesting.

"This was very well put together Brendan. I'm impressed." He drawled. That was the most I had had from him in my life. I nodded. Just like him to ignore my team; he was one to pay attention to only the important people in the room. Today I was important to him. Too little, too late. He had his chance for more than twenty years and squandered it.

I watched with a sort of child-like glee inside. Good thing I was more practised at keeping my little at home and acting professional or I might have stuck my tongue out at him in the middle of this meeting. I had been waiting for this since I walked out the door of their house, I just didn't know it until this minute. Seeing the pens emerge from their pockets, their eyes glancing one more time over the words, waiting.

There it was. The pens touched the paper and my father scrolled his signature across the line on the contract. I held in my joy, my utter glee. I knew he was too arrogant to look closely. I knew he trusted blood was above all in importance. He thought I would benefit him, without thought to my position in this company or how he had treated me over the years.

He was wrong. He had signed us over not just the rights to the area, but majority profits from all contracts and exclusive rights to all their clients needs in this area. He had handed us record breaking profits for the foreseeable future and a definite jump on the stock market. My bosses knew I had earned that bonus as the last signature was drying on the papers.

I sat back with a smile and an easy grace that many on the other side of the table thought was good breeding. It was satisfaction. Of a job well done and a future earned with my own ingenuity. As the others filed from the room, my father hung back to speak with me. I made him wait for me at the door as I shook hands with my bosses.

"That's my boy. Looks like you are really making our name stand out here. I couldn't be a prouder father." He smiled, but his were eyes lacking warmth and his body language was stiff. I couldn't help myself. I laughed at him.

"Your boy? I think not. It was a pleasure doing business with you though. Nice to know you are willing to help out my business at the expense of your own. That's family for you." I smiled widely at his confused expression as I passed by him into the hallway. He had no idea what I was talking about. Let him figure it out on his own.