Teaching Time

"What about this one?" I pointed to a nice big black car just inside the door. Edmund glared at me and shook his head.

"No. That is way too expensive. I'm going to ask them what they have on the lot. Stay here and don't touch anything." He looked a little bit longingly at the car sitting there before greeting a salesman and getting to business. I looked at the description on the plaque for the car. It was called a 'Demon' and I grinned at the name. I liked it.

"Can I help you with anything sir?" A pretty woman with a little too much makeup asked me with a smile. I saw her taking in my outfit and hope blossomed in her eyes.

"No, he is with me." I heard Edmund say behind me. He grabbed my hand and pulled me along with him as he went outside. I tried to smother my grin as I trailed behind him. Was he jealous? That was kind of nice.

"Daddy... I want the demon car." I whispered to him quietly. He gave me a look.

"Shush. We need a daily driver, not another supercar. What's your favorite color?" He scolded me. I shrugged and pouted. He brought us over to a line of SUVs and smaller cars. My eyes lit up when I saw another car like the demon car. I went over to it, but it wasn't quite as nice as the one in the showroom. My excitement deflated and I wandered over to where he was looking at some boring cars.

"Daddy... I don't like these. I want the demon car. Can I have that one?" I pouted and batted my eyelashes at him when the salesman wasn't looking. Edmund shook his head and told me to behave. I sulked and wandered between the cars, refusing to look at any of the ones he pointed out.

"Brendan, enough. We are not getting the Demon no matter how much you beg. You said I could pick the car, and it needs to be more practical. That means better on gas and more comfortable for driving around town." He was looking at an ugly blue car with brown interior and I groaned.

"But these are so ugly! I don't want you to have an ugly car. Pretty please? Can't we just..." I bit my lip and looked around at the other cars in dismay. He huffed in annoyance and pulled me aside.

"Baby, you are really trying my patience. Why are you being like this? These cars are not bad. Is it just the look of them you don't like?" He frowned at me and I nodded, trying my best to look innocent. Really I just wanted him to have something nicer. I mean, this blue car was only fifty-five thousand dollars! That was just silly.

"Maybe we can find something at a different shop Daddy. Can we go to the other place we passed on the way here? The one with the V in it and a boy's symbol?" I recalled that place had a nice shiny car that was big too, but it was much sexier than this one.

"You mean Volvo? I guess we can go over there. Their sedans are nice. Okay my prince, let's go to Volvo and no more whining. Okay?" He gave me a stern look and I smiled. I bounced a little in my step all the way to the car and I know the two sales people were very disappointed when we left. I didn't mind the trucks on the lot there, but I thought the cars were ugly. If I suggested that Edmund get a truck I didn't think it would go over well.

"Oh, look at that one Daddy!" I had my face up against the window as we came in the lot. It sparkled really pretty in the sunlight. Edmund just snorted and shook his head at me.

"Really Baby? That thing is huge. Can we find something a little smaller?" He was looking at a row of small sedans that were not too bad. I wandered down the line all the way to the end and then spotted a dreamy looking car on the other side.

"Edmund! Come see this one!" I bit my lip and ran a hand over the sparkly black paint lovingly. It was so pretty. There were sexy wheels and red things inside the spokes. The interior was done up with a neat insert and I even saw sturdy plastic liners in the bottom of the seats and back of the trunk. It was smaller than the one I had pointed out before, but not by much. "Wouldn't this be perfect for driving around?"