Playing With Big Boys

"Brendan? Do you have a minute?" I looked up to see my boss standing in my doorway and I nodded quickly. I didn't have to put away my work, so I just set my pen aside and sat back to see what she wanted. She came in, closed the door and sat across from me with an appraising gaze. I was starting to get nervous with how long she left it without saying anything.

"Is something wrong?" I finally asked her, hoping it would jog her out of this weird atmosphere.

"No, nothing is wrong. I have a rather delicate request to make and I am not sure how to go about it." She replied candidly.

"Generally saying it out loud helps. We can muddle through the particulars after." I joked with her. She grinned and seemed suddenly relaxed.

"You are right. The higher ups are looking into a deal with Riley Incorporated to work in co-operation so they don't open a branch here. They would like you to consult on the contract and be there for the meeting with the Riley executives." She told me in one go. I realised I was holding my breath and let it out carefully. It was not what I was expecting at all.

"May I ask why they are requesting it?" I asked carefully. I didn't want to give away any of my feelings on the matter until I had more information and could process it. I was stroking my mouth thoughtfully as she continued.

"Of course. They feel that having you at the table will give them negotiating strength and if you help draft the contract we can avoid some of the blundering about in terms of what both sides will want." She said reasonably.

"I understand. What about my current workload? I will have to put some things on hold..." I gestured to the in box on my desk with two brand new contracts waiting for my clients.

"It will be taken care of. Your main focus will be Riley Inc. They will be giving you a bonus depending on how quickly we can settle. Under a year is twenty-five thousand, under six months will be fifty thousand." She tried to convince me. I couldn't deny the fact that I wanted the challenge.

"Three months. Ask them what they will give me if I can settle it in three months." I narrowed my eyes at her surprise. I grinned then, thinking about how I would be going up against my... 'ahem'... father for these negotiations. This was a real treat for me in a way. I wanted to make sure the contract benefitted us, but more importantly I wanted to make sure it didn't benefit him.

"Okay, so you are on board?" She got up and I nodded sharply. She took the contracts from my inbox. "I will send you all the information and get you access to the files on the server. Watch for my email. Good luck Brendan."

"Thank you." I replied as she left. I took a second to think before turning my attention back to the work on my desk. I was almost done this, and then I would be on to the project of a lifetime: Trying to screw over my old man without him realising it.