The Safe Zone

"No. No. And no. This is all wrong again. Do it over. If it isn't done by the end of the day I am giving the project to Mr. Chase." I practically tossed the file at the stupid woman in front of me that seemed to think I cared when she leaned over the desk and smiled provocatively. I was annoyed by Hector in Human Resources who had sent me this person in the first place. Maybe she managed to charm him, but charm didn't get the work done.

"What are you waiting for Ms. Jackson?" I said without looking back up to her as she hovered uncertainly over my desk. She huffed and stormed off. Most likely to stand in the coffee room and badmouth me instead of actually doing her work properly. I sighed to myself and went over the next file, which was done perfectly by Mrs. Kennedy. I smiled tightly at that and signed off on the sheets, placing them in my out box to be picked up on the hour.

"You really should try to be nicer to her." I heard a voice from my door. I looked up to see my fellow Director of Operations leaned against the doorway. I shook my head with a grin.

"If you like her so much you take her. Just be prepared to send her work back or do it yourself. How are you John?" I leaned my head on my hand and allowed myself a yawn. It was only around one, so I had no reason to be exhausted like this except dealing with my more uncooperative staff. He sauntered in and sat in the chair across from me.

"The boys are going out the club tonight, I thought I'd ask if you want to join me for a prowl." He grinned at my unamused look.

"You know I don't go to the club anymore, and I am already in a long term relationship. Edmund makes me happy. If you think I am crazy enough to screw that up, you should get your head checked." I replied again, the same way I did every time John came in here like this and asked. He shook his head with an amazed look on his face.

"I just don't get it. I mean, you could literally have anyone you wanted, whenever you wanted. What does a burly, middle aged man who works part-time in a mailroom have that attracts you so much?" He was watching me curiously and I shifted slightly under his gaze with a blush.

"He understands me. I can be myself with him and he doesn't run away screaming." I let him interpret that as he would and turned back to the stack of files on my desk.

"I get it. You are a real sadist or something, right? Figures. Someone as cute and intelligent as you would have to have a flaw somewhere. Do you have one of those creepy playrooms at home?" He teased with a mischievous grin. I grinned back.

"Wouldn't you like to know. Now get out of here, I have a ton of work to do." I replied. I was relieved when he slapped his thighs and got up to leave. I stuck my tongue out at the door after it closed and got back to work.

*

My keys jingled as I pulled them from my pocket walking up to the door. I was itching to get inside today. I fumbled a little with the lock and the door opened before I managed to get it unlocked. Edmund stood there with a big smile and I practically ran inside the warm safety of his arms. The door shut and he stroked my head gently. I hiccupped a little sob in my relief.

"Hey now, easy baby. Let's get you out of those stuffy clothes now." He crooned in my ear. I was lifted into his strong arms and carried down the hall. He carefully pulled off my jacket, emptying my pockets onto the dresser and hanging it carefully in the closet. Then he stripped off my pants, dumping the contents next to me before putting it with the jacket. I fiddled with a coin on the blanket, not speaking.

I was helped into a set of pajamas. He picked ones with little fluffy dancing sheep on them. I smiled a little, even through my slight tears. He tipped my head back, helped me blow my nose, and wiped the tear tracks from my cheeks. Then he kissed me softly on my nose, eyebrows and cheeks. I sighed from the soft touches and lifted my arms to have him carry me into the living room for our routine.