Chapter 13

Ella's depression after failing her task wonderfully got washed away in the instant. Affinity test! This is the first step, the first set of stairs upon entering the magic gate. But who would have guessed that Arnold could be so annoying. He actually dared Ella to recite the theorem of magical element's affinity with magical beings!

Knowing perfectly well that it wasn't her right to complain, Ella tried to recall another batch of writings. Ah, no, that was exaggerating. Actually, she memorized it by heart.

"The affinity is something that connects magical beings to their elements. If you have a good affinity, it means you can control the element. Your ability to control the element also varies to your level of affinity." Ella talked, her face radiant. "The elements are divided into water, wind, earth, and fire. The rest of magic is the non-elemental, such as shadow, lightning, space, and many more."

"Okay, barely passable. So now," Arnold continued to test Ella, "what is the difference between elemental magic and non-elemental magic?"

"I'll use the example of water. Aquamancers can freeze water on their will. But freezing water, turning them into ice can also be done by an ice spell or temperature-controlling seal. The difference is, Aquamancers can freeze this whole lake, where non-elemental magicians, or Witches, can only freeze the water their spell reaches." Ella thought as how to make it more obvious. "Aquamancers can control water. Freeze it, boil it, flow it elsewhere, make it sharp, everything they can think off to manipulate water, without any distance limit. But non-elemental magic can only force water to submit to a certain condition of spell. For example, Aquamancers can freeze your blood. Non-elemental magic can't. When the water had turned into ice, Aquamancers can make the ice flow again, smoothly into water. But Witches have to melt the ice. And they can't move the water according to their will. Witches can't control the elements."

"Claymancers can make a seed grow into an enormous tree in a blink of an eye. Witches can't. Galemancers can make wind blades. Witches can't. Inflamancers can burn fire even without air and a media to burn. Witches can't."

Arnold only nodded hearing Ella's recital. He knew all of these thing better than Ella, of course, but it was an undeniable fact that his niece already researched pretty well.

"Now, let me ask you; how do you test your affinity?"

"Emm. I believe we have to see the resonance power between ourselves and the elements."

"And how do you do it?"

"Ehh," Arnold was making things difficult in purpose. Ella smirked inwardly. She was not going to lose with her uncle's muddy brain! "With the guidance of a senior Wizard."

A few seconds of a silent astonishment. Then a heartful laugh.

"Okay, okay, sure, you win."

"Really?" Ella eyed her uncle, scared the latter only spoke carelessly. "What do I do now? Any kind of meditation?"

"You read too much fantasy books," Arnold berated Ella with his favorite phrase, "feel the magic. That's it. No exaggerated close your eyes and such."

"Oh. And how should I feel the magic?"

"That's your problem."

"How can I know whether if I've really felt the magic?"

"If you're a magician, you'll know. Anyway, Ross, I'll go out of the space. I'm starving. Bye." And with that, Arnold was gone.

"In what way is this a magic lesson?" Ella asked the passing wind. "You can leave me alone even in my own room! You don't have to leave me all the way here?"

"Yo! How's it going?" Arnold popped out from nowhere, distracting Ella's concentration. What met his question was a winner's smile. 

"I think I got it, Arnold!"

"Really?" Arnold only raised his eyebrows. "Show me then."

"Eh?" This was the first day with so many confusing looks on Ella's face. This was a rare rarity.

"You sensed the magic, right?"

"Yes, at least so I think."

"Then show me what you're feeling."

"Show you?"

"Yes. Grasp the magic and form it. Turn the magic alive, Ross."

"Grasp?" Ella looked down at her hands, pondering.

"To grasp the magic, you have to use your inner force. The one hand that can engage and meet the magical force." Arnold looked at Ella. "Your normal hand can't sense the magic. Use the inner energy which had felt the magic earlier. Form it to envelope your body. And try to touch the magic. Grasp it, and the magic will pour inside, going through your skin's pores. After that, release the magic in any form you want."

Arnold narrated this without sparing a glance to Ella. But when he sensed some enormous magic fluctuations on the air, Arnold yanked his gaze to Ella fast. What he saw made his jaw dropped. Ella had formed a spark with her bare hands. Ella only smiled wide. "Is this it?"

"Well," Arnold regained his composure, "my niece sure learn fast."

"When I felt the magic pouring down on me, it became easier. I just have to manage how to form it, and control it. Now I understand that magic is mainly a media. But it's pretty much decided on my imagination. The thing I lack is practice, isn't it?" Ella jumped around. "If only I can suddenly control the input and output energy better!"

Arnold eyed Ella. "You're absorbing magic at a crazy rate. And you can use magic naturally without any backfiring situation and you have to know that, that is a trait of ours, the Ioviagrippas."

"Ioviaggrippas.."

"Our Wizard family name. I am Arionaldas Ioviaggripa in the magic world. Your mother was Galilactaneara Ioviaggrippa."

"Do I have that, too?"

"Of course!" Arnold said that as a matter of factly. "You're the daughter of an Ioviagrippa, so you are one."

"Rellasstraniare Ioviagrippa. That is the Wizard name your grandmother named you. But well, Sis didn't want you to become a magician, so the name never got to see the light. Ioviaggrippas are renowned even in the magical circle. Don't make a fool of us."

Ella only got to nod.

"So let's begin the affinity test."

"Do I have to insert my magic into a testing stone?"

Arnold massaged his temple tiredly. "Didn't I tell you not to make a fool of the Ioviaggrippas? You read too much fantasy novels!" Was this really the smart, quick-witted Ross? He sighed.

"Try make a fire."

Ella was confused, but she only tried to comply. She stretched her hand and try to form a fire. And she did it.

Arnold whistled. "On the first try! As expected of my niece!" He spoke his another favorite phrase. But then he start to wonder. "Wait.. Inflamancer? But..."

His eyes glinted, and he looked at the happy Ella. 

No, it wasn't just this.

The affinity test wasn't over.

Not yet.