Chapter 10

"Wait what?!" Ella felt the world spin.

Anastasia tugged her own skirt, obviously nervous. "Miss Leravinn, my mother is pregnant."

"Who what?!"

Anastasia glanced uncomfortably at Ella. Ella closed her eyes, cursing inside. An unexpected problem somehow arrived. Three pairs of eyes kept looking at Ella, waiting for her reaction. Her brows creased. "And?" She opened her eyes, looking directly at Anastasia. "Why are you talking to me about this matter?"

"Well," Anastasia couldn't seem to see straight at Ella. Her eyes darted everywhere, seemingly searching for help. Being a pampered, spoiled young miss, her finding Ella here all alone was already a big thing she could accomplish. Her face didn't held any arrogance and proud air from the last time she met Ella. Instead, there was worry, nervousness, and fatigue. Anastasia really couldn't think of any other solution. Her mother had gone crazy, her sister kept spending money on useless things. Without a father as their family's backbone, Anastasia felt they were doomed already. She nearly cried. Looking at this, Ella softened for a bit. "Lily, get us some tea, will you?" Lily nodded and about to leave, when Ella sharpened her gaze and tiredly ordered, "And get Harold's ass here."

Fel raised his eyebrows. This lady really had a tongue! Ella felt his gaze on her. "What?"

Fel only smiled, his gaze fixed on her. Ella, feeling rather awkward, broke free from their interlocked gazes first. "Tasha, just sit first."

"Eh?" Anastasia felt faintly confused. What had the Young Miss of the Leravinn Manor just called her? Ella herself felt she wanted to strangle herself to death. Stupid her! Only their family called Anastasia 'Tasha'. But on the surface she just smiled. "Sit, calm yourself down."

Anastasia sat. Ella sat on the bench opposite her and beckoned Fel to sit. Waiting for Lily and Harold, the three were now engulfed in silence. Sensing the atmosphere and Anastasia's accusing stares, Fel leaned to Ella and whispered in her ear. "Is it okay for me to be here?"

"Do you want to go elsewhere? It's fine." Ella answered, looking straight at Fel. Fel immediately created some distance between their faces. Ella noticed this and secretly smiled. "At a second thought, no. I'll stay. I think you need someone normal here." Fel shrugged his shoulders. Ella was about to smile again, but that halfway smile froze.

"Young Miss, are you searching for me?" Harold smiled brightly at Ella. His smile faded a bit when he met Fel's annoyed gaze in Ella's side. "Is this Young Master? Greetings, I'm Harold."

Fel furrowed his brows. He didn't dislike the way Harold addressed him, but the way he talked and looked at Ella made him felt somewhat endangered. One way or another, four pairs of eyes now were looking at Harold in distaste. "Young Miss, your tea."

"Thank you, Lily. Now," Ella looked at Anastasia, "I think it's better for you to tell him."

Fel took his cup of tea and leisurely sipped. Harold looked at Anastasia and forced an awkward smile. "Miss Tucker."

Anastasia's face was now red. She was angry yet helpless. She was ashamed yet mad. "Harold, is it?" Anastasia forced herself to speak. "I'm Anastasia, the daughter of," she inhaled sharply, that night's memories came back rushing at her, "Daphne Lawrence and Philips Tucker." Harold only nodded. He knew this fact. But the way Young Miss called him meant there was nothing good waiting for him here. So he listened, awaiting the bad news to befall upon him. But Anastasia stopped. She couldn't muster the courage needed to say the words. Ella sighed, while Fel was looking at her playfully.

"I believe you know Daphne Tucker." Ella stated. Harold nodded once more. "Well, the thing is," Ella put her cup down, "she's pregnant."

"Wha?"

"And I believe, or rather, the Tuckers think that the baby is yours."

Harold's mouth was moving for he was trying to digest the situation. Unclear words kept falling when he tried to confirm this fact. It was a long time before he managed to squeeze a sentence out. "Are you demanding for compensation?"

Anastasia only gazed at him, her gaze empty. She then looked down and whispered, "Honestly speaking, I don't know why I'm here."

"I don't know what is my mother planning either. I'm not sure whether she'll keep the baby or not. The thing I know is you're the baby's father. I think at least you have to know this, even though my mother doesn't want you to. As for compensation and such... really now, I just hope you can keep this scandal for yourself. And if, my mother can't abort it with her medicines since it's nearing her third month of pregnancy, I hope you'll take care of my little sibling, just in case my mother throws the baby out of the door." Raising her head, she looked at Harold. "Please."

Anastasia's voice was full of sadness and pain. It was so little that Harold squinted his eyes and needed to squat down near her so he could hear it. Anastasia's voice was indeed trembling, but it was resolute. Feeling powerless, Harold just nodded.

"Thank you." Relieved, Anastasia got up. "Miss Leravinn, I took too much of your time. I have to go back, my house's condition is a bit wild, I can't leave it for long."

"Please. Lily, Harold, send Miss Tucker out." Ella stood up. "I'm really sorry this happened to your mother when she was staying in our manor, with our servant. My deepest apologize." Ella bowed slightly. Anastasia didn't dare receive her bow. She herself know better what kind of scheme they had in the Leravinn Manor. Strictly speaking, they deserved it. Anastasia sighed, and bowed her head down. She made the lowest bow possible to Ella. After that, Anastasia straightened her back and gloomily left the manor.

Ella sat again and sighed. "So, when are you leaving?" She eyed Fel. Fel looked at Ella and laughed. "Relax, little girl," he stood up and rubbed Ella's head, "I'm leaving now. Take a good nap, don't forget to eat. I'll come again sometime soon."

With that, Ella was left all alone in the garden. She reached her head that was patted by Fel. She then looked at her hand, feeling disturbed. "Young Miss?"

"Ah, Lily. Tidy up, will you? I'm going to take a nap."

And so Ella left the garden.