ten

ten

BELLA

I paced the floors of my room, biting my nail as the door opened. I turned to see Connor close the door behind him and pull of his shoes. "So?"

"So? I almost got my ass kicked by Justin and his goons today." He said sighing and sitting on the bed. "Why am I doing this again?"

"I made it seem like I knew what Justin was hiding about his dad. Truth is, I don't know a damn thing. So while I distract him and make him think that I do know something, I want you to get closer to Maria."

"She's too nice."

"Exactly, she's going to pity you because Justin doesn't. She might even sneak around his back a little and that'll have her right where we want her."

"I really don't want to hurt this girl Isabella, that's not fair."

"Look!" I snapped. "You're family, and you're going to help me okay? You're going to help me unless you want my father to find out that you're using his money to run an illegal cannabis business."

Connor sighed and held his head in his hands. "Fine, once I break them up, we're done with this whole thing Bella."

"Sure."

"No you fucking promise, or else I'll go digging for things on you and trust me, I always get what I want."

I rolled my eyes, "Fine, I promise. You wont hear from me again after this is over."

"Good." he paused, "Looks like I'll be in town for a little while longer."

I smiled feeling all giddy inside, "This is going to be interesting."

MARIA

"I can't believe you got reservations for this place. They're booked all the way into next month." I grinned sitting down on the chair Justin had pulled out for me.

"Don't worry. All I had to do was pull a few strings." He replied, sitting down across from me.

I blushed and looked down at the menu. "You didn't have to do all this. When I said a first date I was thinking a picnic or maybe the movies. You didn't have to go all out and get reservations for one of the most popular Italian restaurants in California."

"Look, we drove an hour and a half here, and I don't want to hear you complain. I want to see that cute smile of yours and hear you tell me more about yourself. Tell me things I don't know."

I sat my menu down. "Oh? Like what?"

"Tell me about your dad. What do I have to look forward too when I meet him?"

"Ah, daddy." I sighed. "I was a military brat for a while. He was discharged when my mother passed away and became even harder on me at home. I didn't do anything. I was always home, or Trent was with me. But I didn't meet him until last minute and everything, my senior year. I made it my goal to get the hell away from my father, and you know something? He hasn't called me my whole time here. He didn't even drop me off here."

"I'm sorry Mar." Justin said reaching across the table to grab my hand.

"Oh no, it's fine. I was never a daddy's girl, nor did I want to be. I guess it was only normal for him to check out after coming home from Afghanistan. Then to get hit with the fact that your wife died? That's so traumatic."

"That doesn't give him a reason to check out on you though."

Just then a waitress, who looked about twenty, came up to our table with a huge smile. "Hey Justin, didn't think you would be here tonight."

"Yeah Claire, decided it would be worth it, no need in wasting a good reservation."

I looked down at the table, slipping my hand from his. So he was planning on coming with someone else? It was probably Bella, and since they broke up he just happened to have a reservation open for me. Ha, wow, way to go Maria. You have great taste.

"Anyways," Claire said. "What could I grab you guys to drink?"

"A glass of water will be fine for me." I whispered.

"A coke would be great." Justin smiled. "Oh and can you bring out calamari for our appetizer? Tell Hank it's me."

"Got it, he'll give you your special sauce." She smiled, walking away from the table.

"It's not what you think." Justin said, grabbing my hand again.

"What?" I asked. "Oh no it's fine. You already had reservations, that's normal."

"Good, as long as you get it." He smiled. Although he was wrong, I didn't get it and I was hoping that he would at least explain but he didn't even do that much. He just started talking about his life at home and even though I was the one who asked, I couldn't find it in me to actually tune into what he was saying.

JUSTIN

All through dinner and the ride back to my apartment Maria was quiet. I found it a bit annoying but also very nerve-racking. As soon as I got her I feel like I lost her. Claire was nice, just like I told her to be. I even ordered us dessert and Maria barely touched it. I basically ate the whole thing by myself and I felt foolish for bringing her there. Maybe she wasn't a big fan of Italian? Bullshit. Maria loves pasta more than she loves life, I know that can't be it. When we finally got into the apartment she went straight to my room and slammed the door. Trevor and Liam looked at me and I just stormed after her. "What did I do?" I asked.

"Nothing, you did nothing at all." Maria said, throwing her clothes into her bag on the bed.

"Where are you going?"

"Back to my dorm where I should be in the first place. I was stupid for even thinking this was going to work out."

"Where are you even getting this from Maria? I went out of my way to even take you to dinner tonight, spending money I don't quite have and you're just so unappreciative!"

"Me?" She asked. "You took me to dinner that you already had reservations for! No doubt it was probably for Bella or one of your other whores!"

Shocked, I stared at her. "You think I took you to a place where I would take Bella? Or any other girl for that matter? I made the reservation for me and my mother, but she bailed on me because her rich older husband wanted her to attend some shitty charity gala instead of spending time with her fucking son!"

Maria stopped packing and looked at me. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know."

"Yeah, well you didn't ask either." I snapped.

"You're right I should've asked, that was terribly unfair of me."

"You see me as such a bad guy when I'm not." I chuckled. "I take everything back that I've said the past few days. I don't want to be official with you. I don't want to be with a girl who looks at me like I'm a pig and doesn't trust a word I say."

"Justin, please, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Just make sure you leave my key on the counter when you make your way back to your dorm." I muttered before leaving the room and walking out of the apartment.

[A/N]

If you like action stories, dont forget to check out the sample to my published book: Dangerous Game!!

It's availiable online in the iBookstore and on Lulu :-)