Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

The cool carpet greeted my feet as I slid gently off of the bed. I’d recognized my own sweatshirt lying on the floor, coming as a mystery to me as when I had taken it off. After pulling it on and grabbing my shoes, I could think of no other items that I’d frantically brought to Niall’s. Sighing, I ran my fingers through my tangled curls.

I wasn’t sure what my plan was when I left. I knew I wasn’t quite ready to face Morgan yet, and I knew a walk in the fine, crisp air would clear my head effortlessly. I figured I’d probably wander aimlessly for a while, but it was the only idea I could think of that would rid me of my emotional haze.

Timidly, I opened Niall’s bedroom door. I heard the muffled sound of voices coming from the kitchen, picking out Niall’s immediately. I knew convincing Niall to let me leave would be a challenge in itself. I still owed him a proper explanation. I knew I had to depart; with or without his permission.

“Good morning, Ness.” Louis said, breaking the silence from when I’d entered the kitchen.

“Morning,” I coughed out, hoarsely. I scanned my eyes quickly for my purse, finding it on the couch.

Niall quickly sat up from lying down on the couch once he heard me. “How are you?”

“Been better.” I said, not having enough liveliness to lie. I made my way over to my purse on the couch.

“Do ya want some breakfast?” he asked kindly, his eye brightening at the word.

“I’ll probably just pick something up from the coffee shop or something.” I said, stumbling my way through the sentence.

“You’re leaving?” Niall asked, the delight flooding from his face. He stood up from the couch abruptly.

I grabbed my purse by the strap and flung it over my shoulder. “Niall, I um—”

“You can’t leave, Ness.” he stated inflexibly, taking a few steps closer to me.

“Why not?” I didn’t mean for the words to sound as harsh as they did.