Chapter 2

*Tris' POV*

"I choose...." I started. "Initiate Trainer."

I took a deep breath and lifted my head up. I looked across the room to see Tobias sitting there and smiling brightly at me. I slightly smiled back and went to go sit down next to him. He muttered a quick "Congratulations" under his breath as I sat down. I grabbed his hand and started to mess with his fingers to calm me down.

I just made the second most important decision in my life. The first was what faction I wanted to live in. Now I chose how i wanted to live my life here in Dauntless. I was really nervous that I had made the wrong choice. But I had a feeling I would be able to handle this. I knew Tobias would help me get through this.

"Thank you, Tris. You will be assigned your fulltime job after this years initiation. It will give you time to train." Said Eric.

Next was Uriah.

"I choose leader."

Everybody clapped and he went to sit with his brother, Shauna and Lauren behind us. I could hear them cheering really loud for him.

Lynn chose leader.

Marlene chose tattoo artist.

Peter chose control room worker.

Will chose gate guard.

Christina chose department store worker.

After the ceremony was over, the initiates- well new members- had to go right to their new job locations with the head of that occupation. They would get directions and start training immediately. That would mean I got to be with Tobias for the rest of the night. I headed out the door with Tobias following close behind me.

When we got to the gigantic training room, I noticed it looked exactly the same as it had when I first walked in. There were rows of targets on the far right wall, a big ring for the combat in the middle, more targets for shooting on the left wall and tables with all kinds of weapons next to the door.

"Let's start with perfecting your shooting." Tobias said in my ear. I smiled and nodded excitedly. I loved the familiar feeling of holding a gun and the rush when the bullet flies out.

We crossed the room to where the shooting targets were and we both picked up our own gun. Tobias showed me his normal stance and I watched carefully. I really needed to get everything I learned during initiation perfected so I show the initiates next year the right way to do these tasks. I would be in big trouble of I showed them wrong.

"We'll just work on the aiming part today. The next time you'll need to put these skills to use is probably next year when the initiates come. We have quite a lot of time to learn everything and make it all perfect." I nodded and positioned myself in front of the target next to him. It felt just like the first time I held a gun.

It was in the beginning of initiation. The first skill the leaders thought we should learn was handling a gun. I was terrified to be anywhere near a lethal weapon like that. What if I held it wrong and hurt someone? That sounded terrible. I guess I still did have a little Abnegation left in me. But I was strangely proud the Dauntless compound didn't change me.

I was determined to be Dauntless. I grabbed the gun right when they told us to. It felt really different in my hands. It was a weird feeling but I liked it.

I lined up in front of one of the targets. I did my best to imitate what Four did when he was showing us. Once I was in what I thought of as a good stance, I aimed.

As the bullet shot out it felt amazing. The rush was like nothing I had ever felt before. It was the first time I had done something that felt so right.

"Tris, stop day dreaming. A little more to the left." Tobias said as he watched me.

"Oops. Sorry." I mumbled.

I started to shoot at the target multiple times. I turned around to see his reaction and saw him staring out the other way. I smiled, shook my head and turned back around to shoot again. It hit right in the bulls-eye of the target. Tobias clapped and hugged me tightly from behind.

"Great job, Tris. That's all the practice we're gonna have tonight so we can head back to our apartments if you want." He said as he took the gun out of my hands and put it back on the table in the front of the room.

He came back over after he was done to take my hand and led me towards the hallway where our apartments were. We reached the space in the hallway right between both of our doors and stood there kind of awkwardly. During that awkward moment, I saw Tobias looking at me with a strange look in his eyes. I had never seen a look in anyone's eyes like this.

"What?" I said, confused. It kind of looked like he was crying but I knew he wasn't. He always tried to hide his emotions from me so I wouldn't get worried about him. Sometimes I liked it when he did that, but other times i really needed to know what was up and i couldn't figure it out.

"I was just thinking about the reason I got the perfect girl as my girlfriend." I smiled as he got closer and grabbed me around the waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he kissed me. Just like every other time we kiss, I felt fireworks going off in my stomach and an excited feeling growing.

"I love you." He said as he pulled away and rested his forehead on mine.

"I love you, too." I hugged him and then turned to open my door. I slipped inside my apartment after smiling at him and saying a quick goodnight.

I took a quick shower and laid in the middle of my bed staring up at the ceiling. How did I end up with such an amazing boyfriend? How did my life change this much in the short time I've been here in Dauntless? Am I really worthy of such a wonderful life?

Even when the nightmares haunt my nights and bad thoughts are consuming my mind, I still think about how great my life has actually turned out to be. I know I really miss my family and my life in Abnegation but I had never felt this free and independent before. I never got to live life how I wanted and experience different things.

In this exact moment, all doubts that I made the wrong choice on choosing day or at all today are gone. I know I made the right choice and this is what has come out of it.

My idea of a perfect life.