Chapter Twenty-seven

The word had gotten out about what Vylad had did.
Everyone was on the lookout for him and I knew the chances of me ever seeing him again were slim. It's hard to explain to people who don't have siblings or weren't as close to their siblings why I wanted to see him again. Vylad and I were closer than anyone out of our family and I don't believe he made that choice to hurt me.

People tell me to forget or to accept what had happened.

But it's not that easy.

You can't just forget the torture someone you care for put you through, even if they didn't want to or meant to. You can't just forget what happened, if you do, you never learn. I know this doesn't seem like a learning experience, but you can take any situation and learn from it.

Small or big, they all count.

The biggest thing I was told by multiple people was to get rid of his old boots, to repress those old memories. The boots I've had for years after his death. I refused. These boots are full of memories of him when he was kind, when he was caring, when were still siblings.
When we spent our days in the forest running around and laughing with each other.

He protected me, I trusted him, I thought he would never hurt me. I guess I might be wrong but I don't want to believe that it was his choice. How could I?

It couldn't have been his choice, right?

I mean, after everything we had been through.
After all the people he protected me from.
He wouldn't choose to hurt me.

...Or would he?

I jumped between decisions until I, myself, was unsure what was true or not, reality or fantasy. I spent most of my time in the infirmary, and once I had gotten home, thinking about all the times he had protected me from people hurting me.

Protecting me from people who tried to hurt me like he hurt me. One memory always popped into mind...

I was around seven years old, and I was playing right outside the front gate of O'khasis. I had been told to stay in sight of the guards that were there. I didn't listen, and, being the naive 7 year old I was, I had wandered off just far enough for a few bandits to grab me without being seen and all that was left behind was my jacket. After almost a month of searching, people gave up and assumed the worst.

Assumed I was far far away from Ruan.

Assumed I was dead.

Assumed that they would never find me.

Some people kept searching, but not for me. For a body. Everyone was sure that I was dead. But I wasn't. I was tied up by a tree crying and just wanting to go home, a home that started to forget about me.

Vylad, he was the one who got Garroth to go into the woods with him when he thought he saw me. Vylad was the one who kept believing that I was okay. He was the one who got Garroth to where I was. He was the reason I was still here. That's why none of this makes sense.

Why would he do this?

This question echoed in my head for hours upon hours, day after day, week to week, until it drowned out any other thought swarming my brain.

I forgot about Eli, I forgot about the Jury, I even forgot about the physical pain I was in for all for these days. Then I went back to the jury and was hit with the reality that I had to fight and train and put on a brave face while in not just physical pain, but emotional pain. Katelyn and Jeffrey tried their best to help, but I think they both knew they couldn't understand my pain.

No one could.

I was a lone wolf in this situation and I had to find my way through it. By myself with no help.

There's something quite scary about facing something so large by yourself with so little will to fight it. You stare it in the face, yet you don't move, like a statue. You don't swing, you don't shoot, you just don't. Move.
You just simply stand there without the will to stand up and fight for yourself.

Your blank face does not express any emotion other than numbness. You brave everything that comes your way and fake a smile, when you soul inside screams for someone to rescue it from the pitiful bubbling black pot of misery that it drowns in.

The days passed quickly until it had been months since the incident. I gradually got better, but the pain still remained deep in my soul. You can never get rid of pain, you can only mask it with your own happiness and your own will to move on.

Luckily I found that.

Chelsea, Katelyn, Jeffory, Mom, they all tried to help me move on. I still had to face reality though. The reality of that this wouldn't fade away completely in the meantime, it could take months, hell, years for me to even at least smudge the picture of being hurt.
But, that was a point in the future, this was now. Now I had to face the reality that I couldn't live my life hidden away in my house away from others expecting to find happiness out of nowhere. I had to put on a brave face and meet every day with the readiness to move on from whatever was thrown my way.

Eventually, reality returned and my life went back to it's somewhat normal ways.

That was until Katelyn, Jeffrey and I decided on something that would alter the course of all of our lives forever. Little did we know, it could ruin them in the time being as well.

It could even hurt those around us.

What was this deed, you may ask.

Well,

It was,

Fighting against...

...The jury.

A/N
Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Just letting everyone know that this is one of the last chapters for this book but there will be a sequel. Also thank you guys so much for almost 1000 reads! It's means so much to me! Anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter again and I'll see you guys later! Byeee! - Joya