Chapter Twenty-four

Annie's POV

"G-gene?! Wh-what do you want!" I practically demanded, fists balled, clenching in anger.

"Oh, calm down, princess," he says rolling his eyes, "I'm the one who brought him here. Might as well thank me while you can, he's here to finish...the plan." A devilish smirk curled around his lips as a small laugh escaped him. It was deep and filled with despair.

While he was talking, Vylad had once again a hold on his sword, and somehow, my bow had disappeared. The sun falls completely behind the horizon and I'm left in complete darkness, facing my brother, and my brother's murderer.

"Wh...mmm...what's he...talking about, Vylad?" I ask nervously, taking multiple steps away from him, breaking the tight grip he had on my shoulder.

Vylad's silent as his gaze drops to the sword in his hand. I hunch my shoulders in a defensive way when he walks towards me and stiffen when he grabs my arm, pulling me closer to Gene.

"Oh, the plan? Yes. Yes. Your brother, Vylad, he is...ahh...how do I put this nicely? Supposed to kill you. So that he can finish his transformation, that is," Gene says, smiling once again, my bow in his hand.

Then, without warning, Gene kicks me in the stomach, causing me to fall to the ground, the snow crunching beneath me.

"Y-you what?" I spit out, surprise filling my voice as I try to get up clutching my stomach, wincing.

Was...was my brother really trying to kill me?

This time, Vylad's the one to kick me back to the ground. He looks me in the eye, his face expressing guilt and sorrow. I look back at him, my eyes filled with fear and disappointment.

"Well here's your shot Vylad, it's now or never~." He says in a sing song voice, "After this, you'll transformation will be complete." Gene says as he examines my bow in his hands. Smiling, he looks at me before looking back at Vylad.

Suddenly it clicks.

Why is my brother still alive?

Why is he not as caring as he used to be?

Wait.....oh no,

"V-Vylad...you're sh-shadow knight?" I ask, tears once again streaming down my cheeks, finally piecing everything together.

He makes an odd sound but nods, fidgeting with his sword in his hands. He avoids eye contact with me as he sets his foot on my legs so I was unable to get up.

"P-please don't do this V-Vylad. You're b-better than this," I say, breathing heavily, tears starting to stream down my cheeks at a even more rapid pace.

He raises his sword, ready to strike me. I scream and struggle against him. This dream had turned into a nightmare. Gene walks over and steps on my flailing arms with his foot, pinning me on my back. I continue to scream and sob and struggle, hoping that it was all a nightmare and I would wake up soon. I feel Vylad's foot become shaky, his sword still above his head. Gene laughs.

"What do we have here? Are you scared? Well, you won't have to deal with that fear much longer princess. It was nice knowing you," he says smiling manically.

He looks at Vylad before nodding, like it was a que.

He starts to lower his sword, his hands shaking like crazy. This was it. My brother, the person I looked up to my entire life was about to kill me. I hear Gene laugh before a sharp pain grazes across my stomach, his sword has hit me. I scream in pain, but, the cut isn't deep enough to kill me, instantly. But the blood loss causes me to black out as I feel their feet leave my arms and legs and hear them step back a small bit.

I can hear heavy breathing, as almost if someone's trying not to cry.

"Well, that's done now. Your transformation will be done in a few days. Meet me back at the portal when you're ready, and uh, nice job," Gene in a tone that makes me assume that he's smiling as I hear him drop my bow on the ground and walk away.

I hear, who I assume to be Vylad, kneel beside me and feel him run his hand through my hair as he pulls me into his arms. He starts to sob.

"I'm so so sorry, I should have never done this. I didn't want to kill you. I hoped the cut wouldn't be deep enough. But I was wrong. I don't know if you can hear me, I don't even know if your still alive, b-but I love you An, and I'm so sorry," he says, starting to sob even harder halfway through.

He, he thinks I'm dead. But I can't tell him I'm not. What if he tried to kill me again? I start to go numb, I was going to die right there and then if I didn't do anything. So I had to do something.

Vylad kisses my head before I try and blink or make any movement to get his attention.

I hear him take in a sharp gasp as I feel myself blink.

"A-Annie? C-can you hear me?" He asks as I feel him place two fingers on my neck, sighing in relief most likely because he finds a pulse.

I try to blink again this time I see a flicker of light, of brown hair and green eyes. As I look with squinted eyes I cough as his face washes over with worry. I feel something run down from the corner of my mouth as I taste iron.

I was coughing up blood.

He looked around quickly before standing up with me in his arms. He carries me in the direction of the way I chased him, me jumping in and out of consciousness. Each time I blacked out he stopped walking and made sure I still had a pulse. Eventually I felt him lay me down somewhere in the snow, whistling before I hear him run off. I hear frantic voices before I open my eyes and see two guards running towards me.

"H-help," I try to say as I cough up more blood. It only comes out as a small mumble.

I hear more muffled shouts and a muffled scream of a woman, it's, it's my mother.

My breathing slows.

Was this it?

Was I going to die?

I Don't want to die.

I close my eyes as my vision fades until it goes completely black.

A/N

I sorry if I made you cry! That was not my initial intent for these two chapters but I had coffee aaand had multiple crazy ideas in my brain....and the help from my friend. Anyways! There is really only one more filled with feels chapter FOR NOW. Anyways hope you guys liked this chapter! I'll talk to you guys later! Bye!

-Joya