Chapter 18

In loving memory of 7year old Zainab who was kidnapped, raped, and brutally murdered in Qasur, Pakistan. #ThisMustStop!

Please note that this chapter was planned and actually written before Zainab's incidence. I mean, it is one of the banes of this story, hence the writer did not draw inspiration from the incidence as it's purely coincidental.

Enjoy!

Or not.
--

"Some people are safe havens. Be companions with them."
~Rumi

--
Monday and Tuesday were declared public holiday since Eid fell on a Sunday. But somehow, Suraj found himself driving to the Teaching Hospital on Tuesday. He did not know if it was the seeemingly endless guests and relatives at his parents' that pushed him out. Or perhaps, it was his sense of moral duty which made him drive as far as Gwags to check on Yusuf's wife's health. And Azizah's mother. A tiny part of his brain reminded him.

Yesterday had been a tremendously hectic day. Or what Jalal would call 'fun'. Suraj had received Jalal's call in the early afternoon, wherein the latter asked him to drive to his parent's house immediately. Suraj had enquired the reason for his cousin's unexpected request, but Jalal refused to disclose the reason for his action.

"It's a surprise. Just come." Jalal had said, sounding really excited. Suraj shook his head and picked his car keys from the console, heading to Jalal's.

"Whoa!" Suraj breathed out when he stepped into Jalal's living room in his quarters. His breath hitched in his wind pipe as his eyes scanned the room.

He'd thought of what could be the reason for Jalal's request while he was driving here. Maybe the crazy guy had bought and set up the latest PlayStation game set. Maybe he'd purchased the latest iPhone. Or perhaps, Jalal's father, uncle Muh'd, had finally agreed to let him take the job. At that thought, Suraj grimaced a little, as he recalled his half-completed discussion with Jalal. Circumstances did not allow them to have the luxury of free time, and hence, why they couldn't talk. He made a mental note to speak to Jalal about it since he'd involuntarily found himself driving to his cousin's.

But this very thought did not cross Suraj's mind even for a split second. He definitely did not expect this.

There in Jalal's living room where some of Jalal and Suraj's old friends from their primary and secondary school days. Suraj also noticed a whole lot of unfamiliar faces he did not know. Definitely Jalal's unending friends. He thought.

For a moment, it was as if all the young men in Abuja were at Jalal's. It amazed Suraj, how much friends Jalal had, how much people he knew. And even more amazing, how he seemed to to be always in touch with them. He knew who was working or studying where. He knew who'd prefer Exotic to Coke, or Tuwo to rice. He knew whose siblings attend Fu'ad Lababid or Government Secondary School Garki or New Horizons. He knew whose parents were responsible for which contract and where. It just seemed so bizarre! That was one of the many things about Jalal which amazed Suraj, which he couldn't do even if he'd tried to. Those things came natural to his cousin.

Growing up, Suraj had always been the shy, queit one with the brains while Jalal was the quirky one who was friends to all.

"Are you going to stand there all day?" Jalal teased, seeing the expression on his cousin's face. The men chuckled.

"Sorry guys. I am just as shocked!" Suraj apologised jokingly.

And between his feelings of shock and gratitude, he moved into the crowdy room, making sure not to step on a plate of fried rice or a can of malt. He offered salam to the men as he shook each of their palms, or pull some of them to a friendly man-hug. And just that moment, he realized how time flies. His childhood friends were now grown up men. Some of them were even married with a child or two!