A Start

"I'm going to tell him." Wonwoo shot up like a beanstalk as soon as he woke up in the morning.

A sudden gush of motivation highjacked his body and he leaped out of bed. "I'm going to tell him!" He yelled even louder this time.

Something about cheering up after a low really exhilerated him; it enhanced his happy moments. After acknowledging your saddest feelings it's easy to appreciate even the most subtle luxuries in life.

Mingyu was the reason Wonwoo was so ecstatic that morning. He wanted to truly let him in on his life; tell him his deepest and darkest secrets, share every moment with him, learn his bad habits. That meant revealing a part of him that controlled everything he did and no matter how nerve wracking it would be to do that Wonwoo was determined.

So, he started devising a plan. He needed to be fully organised to tell Mingyu as it's a very huge part of his life and a very, very big deal. He would find out whether Mingyu would accept his flaw or run away from it.

Being deaf from every sound except one was somewhat unbelievable not to mention logically impossible so Wonwoo wouldn't be surprised if Mingyu labelled him a nutcase but he wanted to tell him anyway, he couldn't hide it forever so letting him know early on was the safest bet for both Wonwoo's heart and mental stability.

After fetching his laptop from the kitchen counter he slumped onto his bed again and opened a new tab.

deaf person hearing|

he searched. Wonwoo scrolled down the list of websites, skimming past several hearing aid adverts and a tumblr blog. He realised that if anybody existed out there that was going through (or went through) the same thing as him he was going to have to do some hardcore searching to find them.

deaf person with selective hearing|

An tweet reading 'I swear my husband has selective hearing.' made Wonwoo giggle but he still didn't find anything useful.

deaf person hears only one person|

No results. Too ambitious?

deaf man hears again miracle|

A single article from 1997 popped onto the screen when Wonwoo hit enter. It was titled 'Love is deaf' and Wonwoo instantly clicked it.

'Joon Wonhyun, a 47 year old man living in South Korea, has been deaf since the age of 11. During his wedding he claims to have heard his wife saying "I do" despite his deafness.

"I was a little startled at first to hear her speak but as soon as I realised what had just happened I knew that she was the one and I was making the best decision of my life." Joon says.

"He says it's because we are soulmates. It's God's way of telling us our love is fate." Continues his wife, Joon Minji.'

"Gross." Wonwoo shut the tab.

After making a mental note to never be as cheesy as that couple he opened a Word document. He wanted to plan everything he would say to Mingyu up to the last breath.

First he started jotting down basic steps:

• assure him you're not insane

• give him some food so he has to stay and won't run away

• tell him you're deaf