CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

(Anna's Pov)

My glove covered hands tugged at the weeds, shooting out from the soil ground. Sweat drenched my underarms, beads beginning to form along my forehead and drip down the side of my face.

It was an awfully hot spring day. I was dressed in a short sleeve, flowery, long dress - yet still managed to feel this hot. That was how weather was like in this town. The winters were freezing and the summers were burning. I hated, yet loved it's weather at the same time

When my mother had entered my bedroom and told me to go weed the growing plants in the garden with Amy, I wanted to cry. I'd been so tired, craving the most strangest food last night, I felt like crying when she told me to go do some work that required energy... And a lot of it.

A scream threatened to escape my lips when the weed wasn't leaving its root. It was all so stubbornly staying where it was, no matter how forcefully I was tugging at it. Frustration grew stronger inside of me and I found myself letting out an annoyed sound, letting go off the helplessly damned stuck weed, managing to catch my sister's attention.

"Anna," I heard Amy call, hearing the frown on her lips. "What's wrong?"

I bit down on my bottom lip, eyes shut as I held in the words which willed to leave them. Truthfully, I had no idea what was wrong, what I was feeling and why exactly. My insides felt different, my heart felt different and my mind also felt different. All negatively different.

I couldn't explain it. It was just as if something was bothering me every single second of the day. It was like the world was closing in on me and I was being pushed right to my rock bottom.

I felt like cracking. I felt like breaking. I felt like screaming. I felt like... giving up.

"I-I'm tired," I weakly uttered, already feeling my wet tears roll down my cheeks. They had been a lot more frequent the past two weeks. They were inevitable and I had learnt to accept that.

"Tired?" She repeated, still frowning. "Oh no, you're still ill, aren't you?"

I swallowed, forcing myself to nod in response. I wish I was simply sick - God how I wished that was the case. Not the fact I had another human being growing inside of me, a human being's father whom I was protecting by not letting in and was only mentally hurting myself and him.

"This is not normal, Anna." I felt her watching me closely. "You've been sick for almost three weeks... A month nearly... You should tell mama, she'll call the doctor that way."

Almost instantly, I shook my head at her. My heart picked up at the mention of a doctor. If a doctor was to get involved, he would run some tests, and then easily be able to see the result of my so-called 'illness'. I couldn't afford for the truth to come out so soon. 

"N-No, I-I'll be fine." I cleared my throat and subtly wiped my eyes. 

"Sorella," She said with a sigh.

"Sto bene. Fidati di me." I forced a brief smile her way before focusing back on the weeding, holding in the sudden cry which rested heavily in my throat.

I'm fine. Trust me.

I heard her distant sigh pass through my ears and was beyond thankful she let the subject drop. I put my focus back on the plant I was weeding and tried not to let the thoughts bugging my mind capture my attention. But of course that was nearly impossible.

I missed him. I missed his soft smile and his gleaming hazel eyes. I missed his warm touch and the gentle words he'd whisper to me. Overall, I missed him. His presence. His comforting, calming presence.