Chapter 16 - Mustang Sally

Start from the beginning

"Strawberries!" Kara jumped away averting her eyes and making her way quickly across the kitchen. "Lena, we bought strawberries yesterday. You can have those for breakfast."

"Kara, I don't—"

"Eliza, tell her breakfast is the most important meal of the day," Kara said as she took the strawberries out of the refrigerator.

"Lena, breakfast is the most important meal of the day," Eliza said sternly. Then leaning closer with a smile on her face, she whispered to Lena, "And according to Kara so is second breakfast, brunch, snack, lunch, second snack, supper which is different from dinner, actual dinner, second dinner—"

"I can hear you both!" Kara said as she put out the cutting board with a bit too much force. "I can hear your snickering, Lena!"

"I'm bonding with Eliza," Lena replied, squeezing the other woman's arm, then whispering back, "What about dessert?"

"Oh, I don't think dessert is a meal, dear," Eliza whispered.

"It is the way she eats it," Lena said, speaking into her coffee.

"Anyway!" Kara pulled out a knife, flipping it overhead and snagging it upon descent before turning and flashing Lena a smile. "Kryptonian reflexes."

"Show off." Lena smiled back, watching eagerly.

"Lena lets me play sou chef, Eliza."

"You let her in the kitchen for something besides eating?"

Still smiling, Lena nodded. "She does dishes."

"You've housebroken her?" Hands in the air in an obvious sign of surrender, Eliza stepped away. "That's it. She's yours now. You have to keep her."

Smiling at each other, Lena and Kara looked away shyly.

"I suppose that was the plan anyway, wasn't it?" Eliza asked.

Lena gave a little hum of agreement as her gaze met Eliza's.

"Okay, one bowl of strawberries, coming up." The knife in one hand, Kara moved so fast she was just a blur. In perhaps three seconds about eight of the strawberries had been cored and quartered and were now in a bowl. She moved the cutting board to the trash to dispose of the stems.

"Did you dull my knife?"

"No."

"Did you damage my cutting board, Kara?"

"No, Eliza. I'm careful now."

"Watch her in the kitchen, Lena. The first year she was here she did so much damage around the house we told people we had termites."

Moaning, Kara wandered over to the kitchen island where Eliza and Lena were chatting. "I was thirteen, Eliza. I was new to Earth, and things were hard then." She pouted. "I'm an adult now."

Putting her hand on the other side of Kara's face, she leaned closer and kissed Kara's cheek. "And still my little girl."

"Awww." Lena smiled.

"Don't start." Kara pointed at Lena. "This awaits you, Miss Luthor."

The phone rang, and Eliza turned toward the living room. "Excuse me, girls. I'll be right back."

Lena watched briefly as Eliza left, then smiling, turned to Kara and said, "A kind maternal figure that cares for her children instead of using them as pawns to further whatever scheme she has toward her ultimate dystopian future? Bring it on Danvers family."

"Right, I keep forgetting our point of comparison here." Sliding the bowl of strawberries in front of Lena and pulling her own plate across in front of her, Kara said, "Will you eat these please and no trouble? You really should eat breakfast, Lena. It will get you off to a better start."