Screw The Clave

I made my way back to the Institute as fast as I could. I arrived back to see Izzy, Jace, Alec and a distraught Clary gearing up in the weapons room. When I stepped into the room all eyes were on me waiting for me to speak. I looked at all of them solemnly then stopped at Clary and made my way to her.

"I'm so sorry Clary, this is all my fault. I will bring him home and take her down, I promise," I told a crying Clary.

She just nodded as tears streamed down her face and I pulled her into me. I hugged her to try and ease her pain but I knew nothing would help. Releasing from her I went to load up on weapons.

"You four, go get Simon back and bring him home," I said as I passed the Shadowhunters.

"What are you going to do?" Isabelle asked worriedly.

"I'm taking the crazy bitch down," I responded as I twirled my seraph blades in my hands.

Placing my blades in their holsters, I turned my back on the group and reached to grab another off the shelf when a strong hand grabbed my wrist. Turning towards the owner I saw Alec with his usual scowl on his face. Without a word uttered, I knew I was about to get a scolding about the Clave and being reckless. I looked just over his shoulder to see Izzy looking back over with a look of pity knowing Alec has been quietly stewing since our ended phone call.

"Vicky, I know you feel you may have let Clary down but you didn't. You can't make rash decisions and go after the vampires in their own home, it's against the accords. The Clave will forbid it, the four of us can't just declare war on the vampires. I won't allow it," Alec spoke sternly.

I knew it was coming, yet it still infuriated me to hear him speak to me like I was just a Shadowhunter soldier and not his equal, let alone his girlfriend. The Clave wouldn't like the idea it's true, however, the vampires also broke the accords when they took Simon in the first place. As meaningless as Simon may be to Alec, I had grown to like the mundane boy. He was Clary's friend and she was part of my family, so that made him part of my family too. I protect my family and as much as I didn't want to fight with Alec, I wasn't giving in.

"Five, and we aren't declaring war on the vampires, we are invoking our Shadowhunter duty. They broke the accords when they kidnapped Simon, Simon wouldn't have ever met Camille otherwise. I see only one correct action and it is doing what Shadowhunters are supposed to do, protect mundanes and govern over the breaching of the accords. The Clave may frown upon it but the vampires broke the accords when they took a mundane and lured him back there to his potential death. I won't let that happen, especially by that bitch Camille," I spat back.

"Emotions cloud judgement remember? You can't let your hatred for Camille, the head of the New York vampire clan, fuel you to act recklessly. Camille has broken the accords by kidnapping Simon the first time and feeding him her blood. But it's up to the Clave to take action on her, not us. We need a Clave resolution before we take action, that is our Shadowhunter duty," he yelled frustrated.

"Screw the Clave and their resolution Alec, they won't care about one mundane, but I do. Simon will be dead by the time they get back with an answer, I'm not letting that happen. I won't let Camille win, not this time. I can't have Simon's death on my conscience, can you?" I spoke just over a whisper.

Alec stepped closer to me and took both my hands in his that made me look up at him. "Simon won't die Vicky. It's not your fault, none of this is. The Clave will serve her fate, she and the clan broke the accords she will pay," he said just as softly.

I ripped my hands away from him leaving him looking hurt. I knew he was stubborn but he couldn't honestly believe the Clave will solve this problem. The Clave won't lift a finger for one mundane, regardless that the accords were broken. Alec may have that kind of confidence in the Clave but I did not.