Just A Kiss

My heart stopped and my body froze in place. All that I could register was my shallow breathing as I slowly rose my head to look at Magnus. What would he need with me? How was I the price for Clary's memories? What was he up to? Is this another one of his games?

"Me?" I finally uttered. I was still in my confused state looking at Magnus.

"No, no. We can't just give her to him. She's a part of our life, she's a part of my life now," Alec said angrily at first then the last at a mere whisper. He took my hand tightly in his then and that's what broke me from my haze.

"Well, he doesn't necessarily want you. He wants something from you," Clary told me.

"What? What does he want now?" I asked annoyed squeezing Alec's hand.

"He wants your forgiveness," Jace stated.

"That should be easy enough, right?" Simon said. Izzy looked suspicious at the two in front of us.

"There's more isn't there?" Isabelle asked. I looked at Alec then, nervous of what the answer would be.

"Well. He said he wants your forgiveness... sealed with a kiss," Clary whispered out not looking at me.

I looked over at Magnus and my eyes held nothing but anger. That son of a bitch, asshole, arrogant mother--- I was interrupted from my thoughts.

"No," Alec demanded.

"Come on Alec, it's just a kiss," Jace said.

"What's the big deal? I get you and Vicky are together but it's not like it means anything," Simon stated.

"It means everything to him. Magnus never does anything without meaning it," I spat. I was now seething at Magnus wanting to kill him myself regardless of the Accords.

Alec tensed up next to me pulling his hand out of mine to ball his fists in anger. "What do you mean it means everything to him? You're just friends and he can see we are together, why would he want a kiss from you?" he asked determined for answers.

"Because, it's Magnus, everything is a game and dramatic. He knows it will make an impact on us, on all of us. He wants a show, he wants me to come to him like I used to years ago," I stated still staring daggers at the warlock.

"Came to him how? You weren't always just friends were you?" Alec spat at me. My glance faltered as the words came from his mouth. This is what Magnus wanted, he wanted Alec to know there was an us once. Magnus never did like to share. A single tear ran down my cheek as I turned to Alec.

"No Alec, we weren't. We have always been friends and at times gotten a little too friendly. It was a long time ago and I have only loved him as my friend, nothing more," I told him.

"What about him? Could he say the same?" he asked getting angrier by the second.

I looked deep into his eyes seeing the hurt in them, that I knew was reflected in mine. I was hurting him and Magnus was hurting me, all because Magnus was selfish. I cared for Alec too much to make him suffer but I couldn't lie to him. I took a deep breath before I gave him the answer that would probably cause him more pain.

"I don't know," I answered quietly.

Alec was quiet and didn't say anything more. Our eyes were wandering everywhere but each other. We were both annoyed and hurt by what Magnus requested. Our feelings aside, it needed to happen for the sake of Clary. I briefly looked at Clary and Izzy before I slowly started to make my way to Magnus. Alec noticed my sudden movement and his eyes were back on me and his hand was on my arm pulling me back to him.

"What the hell are you doing? You are not seriously going to do that, are you?" Alec asked angrily.

"Yes Alec, I am," I responded emotionless.

"Why?" he whispered like a plea to not hurt him further. I rose my hand to his neck to soothe him.

"Because Clary's memories are too important to give up," I responded softly. He was upset as was I, but we were Shadowhunters and knew it was right. He looked at me with a sad look before releasing my arm from his grip and pushing away.

"Fine, do whatever the hell you want. I'm not stopping you," he told me angrily.

I knew it was his way to let out his feelings and not actually being angry at me. I was still upset by his words but I had to be strong. I was a Shadowhunter and needed to do my job. So as much as I didn't want to I made my way over to Magnus.

"There is absolutely no way I am forgiving you for this. First, you lie to me and now this. Why are you doing this, especially in front of Alec? Can't you see we are happy? Was this your plan to upset us both and be the selfish ass you are. Why Magnus?" I yelled.

"Now, now. We both know I have a great ass so let's not insult, shall we? I knew you liked each other but now I can see how much you actually care. I'm sorry sweet pea but I need to be selfish for a moment. I've done what you asked of me with those two over there. I'm sorry I lied to you and about hurting you and Alec. I will make it up to you I promise but I need you to forgive me and tell me we will be fine," Magnus stated.

"Why do you want a kiss from me, Magnus?" I asked sincerely.

"I need to know something," he answered simply. Completely unfazed by his lack of an answer.

"And you couldn't just ask me," I told him.

"I don't think you even know the answer darling," he stated.

I sighed and decided to just push past Magnus' coy answers. "Fine Magnus, you win. I will give into your stupid game. Thank you for helping Clary and what you are about to do for her. I forgive you, Magnus Bane," I said. I then gave him a short light kiss on the lips. Magnus just looked at me stunned when I pulled back.

"You really do love him, don't you?" he whispered.

Flustered by his comment and no way believing I could be in love with Alec so soon, I looked over at him. Alec held my gaze clearly watching the kiss take place, before looking away. There was pain and sadness in our eyes and I knew then. Not breaking my glance at Alec, I told Magnus, "Yeah, I guess I do."